Intex Sand Filter (14", 1600 GPH) & Intex Skimmer problems

May 17, 2013
Hello! Hopefully someone can give me some advice. I recently set up an Intex Ultra Frame 20 x 52 pool. I have the sand filter hooked up and working properly, but I am having an issue with the Intex skimmer - the kind that hangs off the side of the pool, and I am not even sure it is an issue with the skimmer per se. What happens is when I attach the adapter to the inlet (screws on to allow the skimmer hose to connect) I get air in the pre-filter assembly and the pressure gauge goes to almost zero. There is no air prior to connecting the adapter. I have not even connected the skimmer hose when this occurs. As soon as I unscrew the adapter and pull it away from the inlet, the pre-filter fills with water again, pressure goes back up and seems to be fine. Am I doing something wrong? It almost seems like the intake is not able to provide enough water through the smaller opening of the adapter. I also have tried the vacuum adapter and had similar results.
Thanks in advance
Mark

Re: Intex Sand Filter (14", 1600 GPH) & Intex Skimmer proble

You have an air leak on the suction side of the pump. What's happening is that it's not bad enough to show up under normal conditions but as soon as you increase the suction by adding the adapter the leak shows up. I'd start by tightening all the hose clamps and cleaning and lubing the basket lid o-ring.

You might be able to find it by installing the adapter and running water over all the fittings and looking and listening for it to stop sucking in air.

Re: Intex Sand Filter (14", 1600 GPH) & Intex Skimmer proble

Wow!! I had a very small leak on the "t" gasket on the intake side. I didnt even notice it was slightly dripping until I looked closely. I shut off the pump, plugged the intake hole from the inside (to keep from losing water) and removed the plunger valve. Sure enough the rubber gasket was not seated properly in the channel, and had a dent in it. I was able to reseat it properly and it seems like things are working properly now. I will order a replacement gasket since it is slightly damaged although it seems to be holding for now.
Thanks again for the assistance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.