Problem with vacuuming

May 31, 2013
We just moved into a new home and there is a pool! We have opened it successfully with the help of some friends and everything is running well. The only problem is vacuuming. I have a lil'shark vacuum hooked up. It has great suction and seems to be cleaning well BUT all the small stuff it sucks up is blowing right back out through the jets? We took everything apart, cleaned it, cleaned out the filter and pump trap just to be sure. Everything is clean but it still shoots the small stuff right back into the pool? Any ideas how to fix the problem?

Alicia :wink: - 19K gal, AG vinyl, DE Filter, age unknown (aprox 10 years)

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Did you add more DE after cleaning the filter?
Did you check all the filter grids for holes?
Did you check the condition of the gaskets in the backwash valve?

aliciaa1021 said:
Just went out and checked, it's a Hayward Regenx RG 450. I don't know what the backwash valve is.
So when you cleaned the filter you just opened it up? Pose up a picture of your equipment pad

aliciaa1021 said:
Alicia - 19K gal, AG vinyl, DE Filter, age unknown (aprox 10 years)
See the link in my previous post about how to put this information into a signature so you do not have to keep adding it. Be more specific ... like model numbers of the pump and filter.

To clean I: Turned off the pump. I closed the valve going from the pump to the filter, then I opened the valve at the bottom and let the water out, unscrewed the top, hosed the whole thing out, put more DE powder in, put the top back on, closed bottom valve and opened the top one to refill. Then started the pump pack up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is impressive that you pump is not even sitting level :lol:

You do not have a backwash valve ... so you are not crazy ;)

The only way for any dirt to get back to the pool is to somehow be passing through the filter ... so, I would suggest opening everything back up, cleaning it really well and inspecting everything again. There must be somthing wrong in the filter.

And that is not the right way to add DE. You should close it up, turn the pump on (purge the air out of the filter if possible) and then pour the correct amount of DE (I mix it into a slurry in a bucket) slowly into the skimmer with the pump running.

That is what I thought, I did it that way when I first cleaned it and added the DE (remembered seeing my dad do it that way as a kid). The friend who came look at it yesterday put it right into the filter. I'll add it in the skimmer from now on.

Yah, totally unprofessional setup. We just bought the house and moved in last month. We will probably put down some pavers and get it level once we get settled.

When I did clean it out there was stuff in the filter (leaves/gunk) but the smaller stuff like bugs and these small flower pieces are passing right through? Not sure why it isn't catching them?

No. because it would clog up and stop the water flow. You need to find the problem and fix it or replace the filter.

Also, did you say there were large leaves in the filter? That should not be possible as they should be caught either in the skimmer basket of the pump strainer basket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.