Need advice on gas service for gas pool heater and NG grill

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
Ok, my wife is thinking that a heat pump might not generate the heat required for her to be cozy. Not sure I disagree with that. In addition, we currently have natural gas service and I would love to have a gas grill, instead of propane. Add to that the lower cost of NG in our area and gas heat is worth exploring.

I, or should I say, my wife realizes the expense of installation, having a pro install the lines, etc. but she's hot dammit and wants to swim every night. It is her hotness that's driving this project...so to speak :wink:

1 - The gas company sent me an upgrade service form, for an estimate. A new meter is free, but upgraded service will cost. Looking at the specs in my signature, would you suggest 400,000 BTUs? I realize that bigger heats faster, etc. I thought there might be a chart that shows the break even point, where larger actually shows a diminishing return.

2 - What PSIG (pressure) am I looking for? 2 PSIG, 5 PSIG, 10 PSIG, Low 5" (.18 PSIG), 12.2" (.44 PSIG), or line.

3 - Any insight on the outdoor NG grill, as far as location, running the lines, etc.

4 - any other pitfalls I can avoid?

Thanks

Re: Need advice on gas service for gas pool heater and NG gr

Not sure you need the 400,000 heater. I have an 18' with a 100,000 Hayward that will give me almost 2 deg/hour on an 70-75 deg day. I feed mine with a 1/2" line and have no problems with it. I never clocked my meter with the heater running to see what my actual input/output is but based on the weight and Delta T I get it has to come in right around the 100,000 BTU mark. I also run a 17 year old Ducane gas grill on the same line.

Re: Need advice on gas service for gas pool heater and NG gr

Thanks. I put 200,000 down on the power company's request form. I have a high pressure service now, with a regulator, so I shouldn't need added service for this:

Current:
Furnace - 100,000
Water Heater - 40,000
Range/Oven - 40,000
Gas Dryer - 20,000

New

Pool Heater - 200,000
Gas Grill - 35,000

Worst case, the only simultaneous running would be the gas grill, with the pool heater, and maybe the hot water heater. I'm not cooking on the grill AND the oven. Maybe boil water on the stove, but I'm guessing a NG grill will cover most all cooking at once. Nor am I running the furnace while the pool is being heated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.