Replacement for auto pilot dig 220

May 30, 2013
Had autopilot dig 200 for 32,000 gallon in ground pool for about 7 years. Top of the line tech when installed it. Great when it works. Have replaced cell three times at almost $400 a pop. Now nead to replace master controller. $599 for replacing it or $899 for new one with all the parts. Heard there are now other options. Looking at the hayward
D aqua plus. Any thoughts? Long term cost and maintenance is the issue. Not the up front cost. Thank you.

Welcome to TFP.

What size is your pool?
What is your location?
What size cell do you have?

Autopilot is about as good as they come.

The life of the cell is greatly dependant on the cell to pool size ratio. And to a lesser extent on the water balance.

Your cell is sized about as small as we recommend for your size pool. I'd go for about 2 times the pool size with the next unit.

All the major mfg's make good equip so any of them should last a good long time. Depending on the amount of automation you want or need you could look at some of the basic units like the Compupool.

One thing you can do to help yourself and the longivity of the swg is to properly maintain the water. Start with reading Pool School on level's for a swg and make sure you adhere to them. A good test kit is a necessity.

I wouldn't hesitate going with an Autopilot. I'm sure the Hayward is a good unit I just have no experience with it. If I didn't need any automation I'd look at the Compupool. They get a lot of good reviews here.

Krevitz, I can tell you that our Power Modules are much more efficient and run cooler than previous versions, so longevity would be better. I agree with Dave on cell life. I'm surprised that you've gone through 3 cells in 7 years though...especially if you winterize your pool each year. I've got many Northeastern US customers that get 5-7 years on their cells with winterized pools.
Have you had occurances of the cell scaling up? If so, what does your water chemistry look like (pH, Total Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, Water Temp, salt level, stabilizer level)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.