Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brining...

1. Back To Top    #1

Brining...

Do you? Don't you? Any favorite brine recipes?

I just wing it with some salt and a little suger... did some great boneless pork chops last year! I probably had a recipe at one time, but cannot seem to figure out where from...

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

2. Back To Top    #2

Brining is pretty much a must these days, as lean as they make pork... Try using some apple cider vinegar and some mustard seeds in your pork brine next time - really works nicely.

I don't have any brine recipes though - just wing it...
    Darren
    ~20K gallon freeform w/attached spa
    Pentair 4x160 pump
    Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Intellitouch i7+3 controller
    Intellichlor IC40

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Grace, my wife just started brining whole chickens this past winter I asked her where she had heard of it she gave me this link http://bbq.about.com/cs/barbecuetips/a/aa112000b.htm

I gave the first page a quick read where it describes the process - there are also links to some recipes. I hope yoou find the link useful - Ted
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

A friend told me how to brine about 2 years ago. He made a Thanksgiving turkey that was the best I've ever had (Don't tell Grandma), turns out he brined it over night. Since then, I do most of my pork chops and chicken that way before I grill. Keeps everything very moist and tasty!!
    20,000 gal vinyl IG, Pool Pilot DIG-220 w/ 60 series cell, Dolphin Pool Boy :)

5. Back To Top    #5

Love the brine. kinda still a secret around here. Really makes killer ribs.
    In addition to the salt, i also add at times:

apple juice
    brown sugar
    pineapple juice
    any good meat rub
    beer
    good ole Kentucky bourbon

Pork tenderloins brine great too. take em out and rub lightly with "big bubba's rubba", then smoke @ 250 til done. i found the rub and other good stuff @ www.peppersofkeywest.com
    They sell great meat mops there too. look just like a floor mop only much smaller. great for soppin on the sauce.
    Cal C.

22k ig vl, hayward 2sp northstar, hayward pro series sand filter, aqua logic ps-8 wireless controls with swg, hayward (eus) heat pump, polaris 280 cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Grace,
    try this one:

Jamaican jerk pork tenderloin

4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
    1/2 cup coarse kosher salt
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup rum
    2 tbsp jerk seasoning (i like big bubba's rubba)

combine in a bowl, sometimes i'll heat it on the stove to help dissolve the salt. strip the "skin" off the tenderloin and clean it up good with a sharp knife. marinate 12-14 hours.
    remove from brine, rinse the meat lightly, pat it dry. lightly coat it with olive oil and just dust it with a bit more big bubba's rubba. smoke that puppy @ 250 til done. use a meat thermometer and get it to about 155-160. take it off and cover with foil for 5- 10 min. (the internal temp will rise 5 more degrees) slice thin. take bows, smack your mama.
    2nd try: adjust sugar and salt to your palate. add more rum...dark kind.
    Cal C.

22k ig vl, hayward 2sp northstar, hayward pro series sand filter, aqua logic ps-8 wireless controls with swg, hayward (eus) heat pump, polaris 280 cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7
    mmm now I'm getting hungry... it is 30's and rainy today, no grilling for me!
    C'mon back, spring!!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

8. Back To Top    #8
    I've never tried brining, but I guess it makes sense. The salt solution is going to go into the meat which has a lower salinity, taking the seasoning along with it.

I'm gong to have to try that real soon. There is a dish at Outback Steakhouse that my wife likes "Alice Springs Chicken" and it is the moistest chicken breast I have ever had. I wonder if that's how they get all that moisture in there.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

9. Back To Top    #9

Brining! Heck yes! This is one I've used very successfully on pork. Give it a shot!

NANCY OAKES' VANILLA BRINE

This recipe makes enough brine for a 4- to 6-pound boneless pork loin, or six 1 3/8- to 1 1/2-inch-thick center-cut pork loin chops, or 4 pork tenderloins, 1 to 1 1/4 pounds each. The recipe is from a forthcoming cookbook on meat by Bruce Aidells.

INGREDIENTS:

-- 9 cups boiling water

-- 1/2 cup sugar

-- 1/2 cup kosher salt

-- 2 tablespoons coarsely cracked black pepper

-- 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla

INSTRUCTIONS: Combine all brine ingredients in a bowl, small crock or heavy-duty plastic container; stir to dissolve the salt and sugar. Let cool, then chill thoroughly in the refrigerator.

Add pork of choice (see headnote). Weight with a plate if necessary to keep the meat completely submerged.

Refrigerate 3 days for pork loin, 1 to 2 days for chops and 12 hours for tenderloin. Stir the brine each day and turn the pork occasionally.

Roast or grill pork loin or tenderloins. Grill chops or pan-fry according to directions in Cider-Cured Pork Chops.
    Michael

10. Back To Top    #10

whats the difference between brining and marinating... is it the amount of liquid or the salt involved.

11. Back To Top    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck
    whats the difference between brining and marinating... is it the amount of liquid or the salt involved.
    It's brining because of the amount of salt involved.

take care,
    dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

Brining removes water by osmosis. You can totaly dehydrate using salt only but in the intrest of flavor we replace the water with liquids with a good flavor.We kinda seek the spices through the back door due to the osmotic changes in the food. Brining gives you a deep penratation while marinade is on the surface.
    Myself on pork sholder I use salt, brown sugar, apple juce, DHMO, and tabasco. Let it brine overnight pat dry and use a spice rub. Spice rub is brown sugar, chilli powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. I put it on a smoker (hickory) for about 5 to 6 hours or when the temp hits 120-130 near the bone. I will pull it wrap in foil for about a hour or so...Now I am hungry. :eat:
    Steve
    Echo Canyon II by Artesian Pools, 13.5 KGal AG Round, 22" Artesian Sand Filter 2 hp Artesian pump
    Med Lab Tech for 12 years in E.TN
    Chem testing by Trouble Free Test Kits

13. Back To Top    #13

Re: Brining...

A tip on brining - be careful what you brine in, as the salt solution can react with metals, and can also leach nasties out of plastic that's not food-grade plastic. So, just to make sure I'm OK, I use the Reynold's oven bags as a liner for whatever container I'm using. The oven bags are made of food-grade nylon, so you're good to go with a brine. And best of all, they're big enough to brine a turkey in.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

14. Back To Top    #14

Re: Brining...

Brining is counterintuitive. It adds moisture to the meat. You gotta' love Alton brown.
    40,000 gal pool, Goldline SWG, 1.5 hp pump, sand filter, plaster w/epoxy paint.