Best testing kit for pool

May 31, 2013
New Jersey
I am somewhat new here. We have an inground pool with sand filter. Last year, we had issues with algae. I was told by many on here that I should invest in a good testing kit. We just had the standard kit and I am now looking for a better kit so this year, if I run into any problems like last year, I can come on here with some real numbers.

Any suggestions of an affordable test kit for hubby and I this year?

Thanks guys! I read about them and am certainly leaning towards the TF-100. I just wanted to make sure the type of filter didn't matter and the test kit was compatible with all types of filters.

My husband was the one who cared for the pool all of the time, but he works a ton and I am home most of the time with our two small kids so I want to help. Last year, I worked so hard to get that pool cleared from algae since he doesn't have much free time on his hands.

Anyway, I kind of feel like a bit of a lost soul through all of this since I don't know a ton about pools.

The pool is being opened next week. Once I get it opened and do my first testing, can I come back here with some numbers for help on where to start? I mean, I need like a basic 101 training :)

Also, where is the best site to purchase the TF-100 from?

http://tftestkits.net/

If your opening the pool next week than you need the kit NOW, don't wait until after opening to do this. You also need to read pool school several times (link in up right corner).

It's not that hard to test water and stay on top of it, by the end of 1 summer you will have it down to memory and will be a pro, it's really quite easy, alot easier than ridding a pool of algae.

TF-100. No question.

cramar said:
If your opening the pool next week than you need the kit NOW, don't wait until after opening to do this. You also need to read pool school several times (link in up right corner).

This is great advice. The fact that you came here before you even opened the pool and not after spending $500 on nonsense at the pool store speaks volumes. Pool School is a lot of information to take in, so read over and over until you get the kit. If you can browse some of the threads, that will help immensely as well. Think of Pool School as the classroom, and everyone else's experience as your clinicals. If you feel overwhelmed, just back away from the computer and come back later. You'll get it, I promise.

suziequsie2945 said:
My husband actually used to care for the pool but he works a ton and I am home most of the time with our two small kids. Last year, I worked so hard to get that pool cleared from algae (I am definitely more of the perfectionist in the household) since he doesn't have much free time on his hands.

We've got three little ones at home, so I know exactly what you mean. It will be a little bit of work to get everything opened and balanced at first, but once you get to maintenance mode, you're probably looking at less than 5 minutes of mindless work per day to keep it beautiful.

And welcome to the forum!

Ok, great! Ordered the kit and it should be here by tomorrow. The pool is to be opened this Thursday or Friday.

When should I first test, and which tests should I start with? (If this information is already spelled out somewhere on this forum please direct me there :) ) Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I notice there isn't an article for opening inground pools. Why is that? That would be so helpful. We're actually having the pool place open it as they do every year but I am looking forward to doing all of the testing myself and come here for advice this year. I am not sure what exactly they add to the pool upon opening since this is my first year getting fully involved. I will test it after its up and running and post the results.

In my mind there is no such thing as "opening" a pool (although I live in AZ ;))

All you have to do is pull any plugs, fill the pool, connect the equipment, and fire it up. Then do a full set of test results to determine what should be adjusted.

You should not add ANYTHING to the pool just because you are "opening" ... which is why I would never pay someone to "open" the pool since they may blindly screw up the chemistry by throwing stuff in.

Ok, pool is being opened as we speak. Water looks great. I am going to test after the filter has been running for an hour or so and then come back with my numbers. Since I am new at this (not a new pool owner, but a new "manager" of a pool) and an amateur who will need help with how much chemical to add, etc., should I post back here or Just Getting Started?

I think this year I am going to mostly do the testing and have my husband do more the physical stuff like adding chemicals etc., and we definitely want to come here for all the advice this year for a trouble free pool!

Post back here so people have a history of your situation.

You doing the testing and telling your husband how much of XYZ to add each time will work okay, unless you have to go through the shock process which we will know soon. During shocking, which could last for days/weeks depending on how bad your pool water is, Hourly testing could be required and chemical adjustment (adding bleach) could be required. MA Muriatic Acid is the one chemical that you should be extremely cautions with, and you may not need to use it, or not very often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.