Pump/skimmer issues

az1441

Sep 6, 2011
Guys I have opened my pool and I am happy with my water.

However I am having an issue.

When my pool pump shuts down, water raises quickly through the skimmer and knocks the lid off. It then seems like it drains the water from my Heyward self priming pump.

When I turn back on, it takes a while for it to prime itself.

Any ideas?

Sounds like maybe the filter is full of air and forcing the water backwards when the pump turns off ???

Have you tried purging the air from the filter with the pump on?

I do have a multivalve on top. but right below that I have what seems to be a valve.. Not sure...

img6945l.jpg

img5932r.jpg

img0242kw.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

Very weird because the pump will prime itself, even though after turning it off, a lot of the water has been drained from the pump basket.

Let it run all day, power it down, a small splash of water shoots out of pump lid, skimmer overflows with water, skimmer basket gets dislodged, and pump basket goes to half full.

I have reseated the pump lid multiple times, checked the ring around it, but when powering down, it still shoots a tad of water out.

Turn pump on, takes about 20 seconds for it to self prime and normal operation ensues.

that is the air relief valve in the picture. it sounds like a suction leak to me. if water is shooting out of the pump lid than that is the first place that i would check. When the system is under pressure the air that is getting in to the filter is compressed, when the system shuts off it expands, resulting in a rush of air running through the plumbing, causing all of the things you are describing.

Thanks for all this feedback guys.

When I backwash - problem goes away. Turn back to filter - problem returns. crazy

BTW - I bought a new pump lid gasket. Hopefully that prevents the squirt of water out of the pump when powering off

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.