Backwash Valve Problems

May 30, 2013
Split by moderator from HERE. Please start your own thread with your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

This just indexed when I googled the term "hayward spider valve stuck open".
Here is my problem. I had a leaky spider valve so I bought another one. The handle/valve assembly is exactly the same as my old one. With all equipment turned off, I removed old one and try to install new one. I got the tab matched up so it should drop right in however unless I turn the handle and open the valve a bit, the thing won't push all the way in (even using nut). I put the old one in and have the same problem however the old one wasn't making my pool look milky.
Help :)

Re: Multivalve Problems

It is almost like the whole valve is too long which it isn't. If I open the valve just a bit before installing, it fits all the way down flush with the piping and seals nice. It won't push all the way down to close though (doesn't ride groove down to where it makes a turn to lock) so it's open and I think the D.E is what is making the water cloudy. The thing won't even come close to fitting if it is in the closed position so the nut just spins on top of the threads.

Re: Multivalve Problems

I guess we were, it's a backwash valve not spider.

21rl1bhIj%2BL.jpg

okay. I don't know if it is just me, but i need to see pictures of your actual slide valve on the filter. I am not really understanding what is going on. Are you saying that the handle doesn't go all the way down? Are you seeing water come out the waste port when it is on filter mode?

I'll pop off a pic tomorrow when its light out. No water is coming out of it though. The way the handle on the valve works is when you pull it up in the "open" position you can see a groove in the shaft where it slides down and then the handle turns at the bottom to actually lock it. When I install it, when you push the handle down, it doesn't go all the way down so it is slightly open and wont lock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.