Return hose blows off repeatedly

Camman

May 25, 2012
Raymond, NH
So, I've had my above ground pool for about 2 years now and I am still feeling like a total noob. My pump was leaking, my sand filter had a leaking multi port valve and I decided I was going to switch to a cartridge filter. I bought the following cartridge filter system with pump:

http://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/Above-G ... 4018_A.htm

Hooked it up using the existing flexible hosing, all look well until after about 5 seconds the return line flexible hose starts leaking pretty badly. I swapped it out for some of the flexible hosing that came with the system and find that the hosing just barely slides over the barb on the inlet side of the pool. I believe this is a 1.5" PVC barb connector. So I hook it up, crank down the clamp onto the hose, start up the pump, and the hose blows off the side of the return inlet.

I found some different 1.5" flexible hose that I bought last year, it too barely fits on the barb and even when the connector is quite secure within seconds the return line blows off of the barb.

I spoke with someone at work and he said I am probably not going to solve this problem because the water pressure coming out of the cartridge filter is much higher than the sand filter and it is just going to keep happening. I made sure the pump was the same power as my previous pump (1 HP) but obviously the flow seems to be much higher with the brand new cartridge filter vs. the older sand filter.

Any suggestions? Should I try different hosing? Is the barb connector on my inlet non-standard?

Thanks in advance for your help

Had the same issue with hoses either breaking or popping off, to fix the popping off I double clamped as mentioned above. Just make sure to offset the clamps. There is a flat part on the clamp where the screw is, so you don't want both flat spots together. I gave in this year and did PVC, it gives me peace of mind.
Good luck

I have had this happen the last two startups. this morning I had drip and made it worse by tightening it should have left it alone. So finally got it to stay on but still dripping. Someone mentioned radiator clamps. I went to pep boys they just had regular hose clamps. I did not go to the parts counter. They did have these turnkey clamps with a yellow key made by ideal. You turn the yellow key to tighten figure give that a try. That did it holding fast and stopped the drip. I would think have them at most auto parts store. Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions all, I tried the two-clamp method and it seemed to work for a time, went inside for a while, came out to a pond forming next to my pool so that seemed to be out. I found out a couple of things; the hose clamps that came with the filter/pump are awful, went back to the normal type of hose clamps and it secured much better. Unfortunately it seems like the plastic "pool/spa" type hosing cannot securely affix to the 1.5" barbed fitting on my pool return, so I currently have a kind of hokey setup with a short length of 1.5" braided PVC fixed to some of the more rigid pool type hosing that came with the filter via a fernco adapter, has been holding all day with the pump running so hopefully that is going to be good, everything seems pretty secure.

That being said I do need to get some more appropriate hosing, I have heard the spa/pool style plastic hosing is terrible and prone to breakage. An engineer friend of mine was over today and commented that it would be difficult to get a tight seal with the plastic hosing on a barbed fitting and I would be better off with something more flexible.

Based on some other threads on TFP I was looking at this site: http://flexpvc.com/indexFlexHose.shtml#hose but I just need to figure out what style of hose I need. I checked to see if Lowe's carried any sort of flexible PVC or the braided PVC but they had none in 1.5" ID size, so it looks like I may have to order on the internet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.