How long do pool pumps last

P

PatG25

Had a general question regarding pumps. I have a Whisperflow WFE-6 1 1/2 HP pump that was installed with the pool (in ground gunite, 22000 gallons) in May 2009. So I have had the pump running for 4 seasons, May through October. The pump is dying; I had the pool company out. They indicated that the bearings are going bad; and that's what I figured before they came out given the noise it was making.

4 years for this pump doesn't seem very long. Shouldn't they last longer or did I just get unlucky? I do have a solar heating system on the roof, so the pump has to get the water up to the solar system (2 story house) and push it to the pool. The pool builder knew about the planned setup; that's why they recommended a 1 1/2 hp pump.

If the bearings are bad would it make sense to fix it or to just get a new pump. Should I get a bigger - i.e. 2 hp - pump. The current pump was running at 30 psi when the solar was active and at 20 psi when it was not.

Thanks,
Pat

4-5 years for a pump motor seems about average, the wet ends tend to last a lot longer, it is a fairly simple mater to replace the motor, and should only cost about half the price of a new pump. You want to replace the shaft seal at the same time.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.