pump wont prime.

Albert

May 20, 2008
Minnesota
ok so today i replaced the spider gasket or whatever hayward calls them. and i thought that would fix the problem but it hasnt done anything in fact the pump wont prime so that means there is no circulation. im just about ready to say forget about it and just close the thing im so frusterated.

Attachments

• P5220032.jpg
    P5220032.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 189
  • P5220033.JPG
    P5220033.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 195
Albert, sorry for the thread hi-jack and please don't take offense, but I'm going to use your post as an example.

Please when you post (speaking to everyone), give a descriptive subject title. Titles like, "I need help, "major problems" etc, don't really tell us anything about what's going on. Something as simple as "My pump has lost prime" will get the correct people to your post more quickly and will save others from reading it who may have nothing to offer.

With hundreds of new posts a day, this would really help those who are trying to help.

Again Albert, don't take offense. I see this a lot and just decided to use your post as an example. ;)

Albert,

1. How high above the pool water level is your pump?

2. Do you have multiple pipes that come together before they go into your pump?

3. If the answer to #2 is "yes", How many ande do they have valves to shut them off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Albert said:
that was the weekend before we opened it. its storming here right now so i used the existing pictures

Okay. I hated not to point out the obvious. Fortunately, I've never forgotten to open a valve :oops:

The slightest air leak on the suction side can make it difficult or impossible for your pump to prime. To prime mine, I shut off the skimmer and drain valves, and pour water into the basket until it overflows. Put the lid on and have someone turn the pump on while I open the valves. It can take a few minutes for flow to start.

If that doesn't work, fill the basket, and turn the multiport to "Closed", then open the skimmer and drain valves. The basket shoudn't bubble any or drain. If it does, that indicates an air leak. I had trouble this year until I found a bad O-ring on my pump basket drain plug.

Albert said:
sorry about that i edited the title, tried putting the hose in it and nothing happened.

No need to appologize. It's a natural tendency to make a dramatic title when you need help and LOTS of people do it, my point was just that it is not the best way to get the help you need.. I actually did not want you to change the title as it was a good illustration. It's okay though. I'm just glad you are getting some help.

Stuff a hose with a drain king on the end into the skimmer return pipe. Open that valve to the pump, close the other one. Turn on the hose and wait for it to fill the pipe and the pump basket. Yank the hose and then turn the pump on.

I prime mine this way: Open the pump basket and stick a hose down the in-pipe > turn the hose on for a few minutes, then quickly hose off and out, cover on basket and fire it up. It can take it a few minutes to pick up prime after that.

I'm, obviously, trying to get any air out of the line between the pump and the pool.

When priming with more than one suction line and valves as you have: Open one valve and close the other to start. After the pump is primed you can open the other valve very slowly and get it to prime while still drawing from the first line. It may be simpler to prime from one line or the other though often they are about the same.

Is the impeller still attached to the pump motor? 8)

Is it possible to install the valve body incorrectly when changing the spider gasket? The water has to be able to get out of the pump or it can't pull in any new water. I'm just wondering if somehow your multifunction valve is now blocking water flow. :(

I'm going to throw this out there since I was guilty of it myself....how long are giving it to prime?? When I was having issues, I wasn't giving it enough time. It is supposed to prime within 5 minutes but wasn't. I just let it continue to attempt and it took about 15 minutes but did eventually prime. Turns out there was some construction dirt causing problems. Just a thought........

harry, i think that its not blocked because it will backwash and everything with no problem but if you think that its blocked how would i be able to tell?

midtngal, what method did you try when you primed it? i think that i will give it more time to attempt because i am only giving it about 5 miniutes per attempt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.