Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The Liquidator installation is done..

1. Back To Top    #1

The Liquidator installation is done..

Hi All,
    I wanted to get a device that would dump liquid chlorine into my pool since I am lazy and can't keep up adding bleach everyday. I Was considering an SWG but they are really expensive and I didn't want to go that route. I also did not want to use pucks since the stabilizer builds up.

I found The Liquidator online and decided to but it. This model holds four gallons of bleach and meters it directly into the suction side of the pump. It's a simp[le concept and so far it works pretty well. Here are some pics.

Here is what it looks like

Here you can see the bleach layer on the bottom (yellow) and the water layer on top (clear)

These are the connections to the pump system.

This is the meter used to determine how much chlorine is being metered into the pool.

All in all a pretty slick system and took only 20 minutes to install. We'll see how it works over the next few weeks.

Joe
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcom to the site. That is very clever. Keep us updated and thanks for sharing.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Hi, Joe,

Welcome. I saw that thing about a year ago and it's pretty interesting. I'll be very interested in your luck with it. Please keep us posted. You're gonna get a lot of comments...great pics

Did ya' get that little drip fixed? You should be proud of that pvc work...it's as good as any I've seen.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thanks! I think I got it fixed. No wet spots anywhere but the way it was plumbed I had to do the run from the filter to the heater all over again

You should have seen the old plumbing the PB had done. What a joke. All flex pipe that was sun blistered and NOTHING was square. That's why I have so many elbows and 45's from the pump/heater to the valves. What did I expect for $30K???
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow! That's pretty cool. Thanks for showing all the pics. Please do a review of it after you've used it for a while.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Where did you find it online?

thanks,

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi cruzmisl
    I have done a lot of looking at this unit. I found there web site and looked at the device. I had run it over in my mine and decided to purchase one so I looked and I looked. and looked again. I even have written to Hasa with no reply. I thought this might be a big help while on vacation and such but I cant find anybody to sell me one. Whare on earth did you find the Hass Liquidator???
    please let me know
    Ric W
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

8. Back To Top    #8
    You know, that seems like a decent idea but I wonder how much chlorine breakdown you get storing it out in the heat and sun like that. The plastic they use doesn't look entirely opaque ...

For the record I called the company and they are basically a regional distributor to pool stores in the California area. They suggested i go to their website and try calling some of the dealers listed there to see if any of them could sell one and ship it to me.

9. Back To Top    #9

ric,

I don't know where cruzmisl purchased his but I know that PoolandSpaWarehouse has them for sale. I just can't decide if that is what I want to do for those vacations and weekends away.

Liquidator Link Here
    24'x54" Sharkline Matrix by Wilbar International, 15,200 gallons (2015)
    Jacuzzi 75 sq ft Cartridge Filter 1 hp two speed pump
    Solar Heat with Goldline GL-235 Controller
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 28669 SWG
    TF100, SampleSizer, and Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks everybody I will chk the link and see about cost. if the cl would break down i think it would be better then nothing. thanks again Ric W
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

11. Back To Top    #11
    Sorry for not responding sooner, I was on vacation.

Anyway, the link provided above is where I bought mine. As far as performance goes, I haven't really had a chance to play with it. I left on vacation after the install so I will report back after another week or so.

As far as breakdown, you're correct. It shouldn't be left out exposed to the sun. I plan on putting a barrier around mine but just haven't had a chance. So far I have a big planter blocking it from the sun. The heat is no higher than where I store my bleach in the garage so I'm not too worried about that but the direct sun should be avoided.

12. Back To Top    #12
    Looks like a good unit. I tried another brand a few years ago and the chlorine
    ate the plastic and the unit failed after a few months and the manufacturer
    would not honor the warranty and shortly after they went out of business.

I would get some split corrugated tubing(used for electrical wiring and available
    at Home Depot) to cover all the clear plastic tubing. This tubing is not UV resistant
    and in a year or so will fail. The UV resistant tubing is black. I did this on another pool
    and the tubing was good after 5 years.

It looks as though the water cap is to keep the chlorine from evaporating before it is used.
    Hasa does sell their own brand of chlorine and it is availble at some stores here in Phoenix.
    Since most pools will use a couple of gallons of chlorine a week I don't think there is much worry about
    heat and sunlight. I did pump chlorine from a 15 gallon plastic drum with a peristaltic pump for
    several years on another pool and it worked just fine. The only problem you have to remember to fill
    the tank.

Cliff s

13. Back To Top    #13

How is the system working for you? Any issues? Hows the usage been?

Thanks,
    Mike
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

14. Back To Top    #14
    Works perfectly! As far as usage goes I can't really say. With bleach costing 1.29 a gallon I'm not too worried about it.

15. Back To Top    #15

Can you explain the ins and outs of cleaning and how often? What do you do with the salt and other stuff in the bottom?
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

16. Back To Top    #16

Mine has been working great for a few months now. I have yet to clean it out. Based on what I have seen of the buildup this year, I anticipate that I will clean it out at the end of the season and it'll be fine throughout the next season. IT has been great. If you use Bleach to sanitize your pool, you can;t go wrong with a Liquidator.
    6000 gal inground fiberglass
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

17. Back To Top    #17

Re: The Liquidator installation is done..

Wow, this thread is old! However, I'm reviving it from the depths of TFP history for some modern-day questions!

If you're still active, Keithw, can you please comment on how your Liquidator is still holding up and functioning? It's been 9 years.

To me, the salt buildup at the bottom of the Liquidator sounds like a PITA. I assume the easiest way to drain and clean the unit would be to close the pressure-side check valve and let the suction remove all of the X gallons of pool water out of the container so it could be disconnected and acid-cleaned. That is, of course, if all of the salts are "stuck" to the plastic and not free-floating. In other words, the salts must not be sucked back into the pool through the pump.

With respect to those salts, what are they exactly? I know that TDS in a pool should be ignored, but it is known that adding any chlorine solution (as sodium hypochlorite) will add salts to a pool, thereby increasing salinity and overall TDS. So these salts at the bottom of the Liquidator...are they the salts that sodium hypochlorite adds to the pool, but now they're contained in the Liquidator itself rather than in the actual pool water? Another way of thinking to my question is that the Liquidator only adds chlorine to the pool, perhaps in some chemical breakdown/reaction, thereby not raising overall TDS?

The Liquidator seems like a decent product, however, if the above BIG question is not true, then it seems more of a PITA to operate and maintain. Simple and cheap, yes, but probably also won't govern a pool properly with a variable speed pump also.

Thanks for the clarification!
    Shasta 13k Gal. PebbleTec inground pool : Pentair VS pump : Hayward 8-cartridge filter system : A&A in-floor cleaners : Jandy 115k BTU heat-pump : A&A auto-filler : A&A Dek-Chlor (not used) : BBB Method

18. Back To Top    #18

Re: The Liquidator installation is done..

Yes I am still active and still using the LQ. It has worked great for however many years I am going on now. 9! They also basically warrant the various parts in it indefinitely. Just call Hasa with any issues. I wanted spares of all of the stuff in case I needed them so I bought a second unit probably 4 years ago. It is pretty much maintenance free for me. I used to clean it and drain it once a season but to be honest the past 2-3 years I have just ignored it. I will probably drain it and dump the solids out this winter. The solids/salts go to the bottom and never become a factor. The bleach area is above the solids and then pool water on top of that. The easiest way to clean it is run it until all the bleach is gone. Turn off the pump and let it drain down to where the floats close it off. Disconnect the hoses at the LQ and dump it. Easy peasy. A great product if you are looking for an alternative to an SWG. BTW the solids buildup is not dramatic. Over 3 years mine is about 1/2"-1" deep and it doesn't get disturbed during filling or operation. It just sits down there out of the way! My understanding is that it is salts and other impurities in the bleach but I have not tested it. Not sure on your question on the variable speed pump. It needs to push out enough water to create the flow into and out of the LQ. I try to run my pool 6-8 hours a day and I stagger the run times into 2 hours blocks, spread throughout the day/night. Seems to work for me.
    6000 gal inground fiberglass
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator