Fighting algae - nearing the end

guydot

Jul 17, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
After about a week of fighting my green swamp, I think I am nearing the end. The water is clear and the bottom is totally clean. I just added CYA today (was 0). Current values:

FC 0.4
CC 0.4
pH 7.6
TA 80
CH 280
CYA should go up to 50 soon
Salt level is 3300

Do I need to shock the pool as there is no FC or just wait for the SWG to do it's thing and for the CYA to be able to hold the FC? It's above 80 degrees today and sunny in Philly and will stay this way for the next few days.

Oh - and one more things - I notices some foam floating on the surface of the water in the morning and dissolving during the day. Any idea?

Thanks!

It does sound like you are close but get some chlorine in there PRONTO. Do not wait for the SWG to produce it....put enough Clorox in to get to 6-8 ppm and then hold it there until you can get your swg up and running.

The foam is a bit troublesome to me...are you familiar with the OCLT in Pool School? If so, take your FC up to about 8 ppm this evening and perform that test.

I added Chlorox yesterday, but was distracted by family activities, so I measured this morning only. Foam is gone, pool looks even more clear than yesterday. PH went down to 7 - not sure why...

FC 4.2
CC 0.4
pH 7.0
TA 80

I probably need to take care of the PH and then measure CYA?

guydot said:
I added Chlorox yesterday, but was distracted by family activities, so I measured this morning only. Foam is gone, pool looks even more clear than yesterday. PH went down to 7 - not sure why...

FC 4.2
CC 0.4
pH 7.0
TA 80

I probably need to take care of the PH and then measure CYA?
I'd recheck that pH. It doesn't generally go down unless someone's adding something acidic, like acid or trichlor or dichlor. Did you just add the CYA?

If you used liquid CYA, you can measure it within hours. Granular stuff will take a week or so, so save your reagent if it hasn't had time to dissolve.

guydot said:
CYA (granular) was added yesterday at noon, so I am waiting... I checked the PH twice... strange.
I will have to adjust and follow up, I guess. I am planning to use the pool for the first time today.
Mystery solved. Head on over to http://www.poolcalculator.com/ and enter your pool volume up top. Then scroll waaaay down until you see Effects of Adding Chemicals. Plug in how much CYA you added and it will show you how much it will affect pH. Nifty, huh? Then go back up and let it tell you how much soda ash or borax to add to fix it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.