Calc to determine the amount of H2O being filtered?

May 16, 2013
Hey all. Part of my rationale of getting an intelliflo VS +SVRS was to save on my energy costs by running the pump at a lower RPM.

I have a 18x36 IG with 2 skimmers and 1 main drain, all running 1.5" to the pad, where I have converted to 2" right before the valve. I have a Sta-Rite DE filter that runs though the heater and out through an Intellichlor before reducing back to 1.5".

Now that I am through the shocking process, I want to start getting more efficient with my pump, but I am not sure how to first figure out how much my water really should be circulated through each day, and then how to calculate how much water flows through at each RPM, but since the are so many dang variables I don't know how to begin even getting a rough flow number.

Thanks everyone!

Start with a setting of 1000 RPM. Adjust that upwards if need to keep the skimmers work, SWG and heater happy, etc. Then start with a pump runtime of around 6 to 8 hours, and adjust based on how the water looks. There are more detailed instructions in Pool School.

There is no doubt that I find myself over-thinking every aspect. Sometimes I feel as though I am in the mindset of a chemist getting an exact number for everything, and worrying over the smallest thing, even though as so many of the stickies mention that "we're not building rockets here".

I am hopeful that by the end of this swimming season, I'll learn to relax a bit with regards to being so anal about every little aspect of maintenance.

Thanks for keeping me "off the ledge"! :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.