Sand in the Pool

Hello all,

First all just like to say thank you, this site has brought my pool back from the dead.

My new issue is that sand is making its way back into the pool. I would vacuum and the next day there would be a slight dusting of sand on the bottom. There isn't a huge amount of sand, I would say roughly 1 - 2 hand fulls spread across the pool. I have already took the sand out of the filter once and replace the collector hub, and there wasn't anything wrong with the laterals. Then two days ago I decided that I would check them again and just 1 lateral had a slight crack at the base no bigger than this ____ . So I just wanted to keep filtering so I used some PVC glue and a q Tip and filled the tiny seam and replaced it back on the hub. So other than just replacing the laterals which from looking at them I wouldn't think they would need to be, is it possible that the wrong sand was used? Is there anyway to tell what sand was used? The filter calls for #20 Silica Sand .40 - .55mm. Or is there something that I am over looking?

Also I have been looking at prices for individual laterals, but is there any where to buy like an 8 pack in bulk or something?

Thank You

Brandon

Mombo4AU said:
I may be wrong, but there is a possibility that your pump is too powerful for the filter. Unless you have a two-speed pump and you can go to your lower setting, you may need a smaller hp.

Ya this could be the issue, the pump I want to say was rated @ 70 gpm, where as the filter is only 62gpm. Hmm so if this is the case then I am kind sol until I purchase a new filter.

cramar said:
Any chance your back washing too much, I had a similar problem and that's what was suggested, and that person was right.

I have been back washing often all the way up to 2 days ago. Now everything is clean. Maybe I shall vacuum a few more times and see if it eventually quits.

So I am just looking for some closure on this topic. Since my new pump that I bought runs @ 70 gpm, but my filter has a filter rate of 62 gpm. This is the reason why I am getting sand in the pool. I am pretty confident that this is the case, and was wondering if there is anything I can do to help reduce the sand. Such has different laterals? Or do I just have to buy a new filter all together.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.