Concrete Decking Before Liner?

Love this forum.

I have the steel walls installed, concrete collar poured and planned to install plumbing a back-fill next.

What are the pros and cons of pouring the concrete decking around the pool before installing the liner? Seems like it would limit any damage that may be caused during the concrete deck pouring?

Thanks

Jeremy

Usually you need the backfill compacted properly before pouring the decking, otherwise the ground will settle and you end up with cracked concrete. My PB is backfilling with sand, using a compactor on it and then I have to pour water into the sand for 2-3 weeks to settle it further before pouring our concrete deck. If you are backfilling with soil it can take months to years of rain to properly compact the soil.

I understand that portion of the process, but wondering in what order.

Scenario #1
a) backfill with sand and compact
b) Install coping and liner
c) install concrete decking around pool

Scenario #2
a) backfill with sand and compact
b) install concrete decking
c) install liner

thanks

I'm no expert on this stuff, but for scenario 1, this seems to be the standard order. It could be because the PB doesn't want to wait around for you to compact the backfill and get the decking installed...

For scenario 2, I'm not sure what the risks are. It doesn't seem risky to the liner to have the concrete decking poured to me. What type of damage has you concerned?

If you are using cantilever forms, some of them use the liner track to be held in place and you can't install liner first. I backfilled with 1/2 " limestone which has like a 98% compaction rate. I backfilled in 3-4 lifts and compacted each one. I think you can do it either way, but I'd pour first. Cleaning out sand and rock isn't fun or easy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have built pools for over 30 years and unless I am forced to install the liner I always pour decking first, then pool base, then the liner. I have never seen a concrete crew that I would trust not to get concrete in the pool.

i used paver's on the perimeter. half the paver rested on the metal coping ( glued) the other half on compacted backfill/1" of stone dust ( would use sand next time, easier to work with imo) Did this after pool fill. 6 years and no real noticeable settleling. I have seen many concrete decks where the stone/back fill has settled and there is a gap between the stone and the crete. But those with proper re-inforcement are in tact.

How much did you guys overhang the paver into the pool?

I am going to go this route but am wondering about the material below the paver that overhangs the opposite side of the pool wall. Could you leave the paver overhanging the back without stone or conc base and when pouring the concrete just vibrate or rod it to force concrete underneath. I would have plastic sheething to protect the paver as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.