Please recommend a heat pump

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
We are going with a heat pump. Solar is not a practical option for us and gas does not seem to fit the bill. I warned the wife about the electric bills, but she's insistent.

I will have an electrician come out to estimate, but it's not a far run and the box should have plenty to give.

Can you recommend a heat pump? Brands, models, etc.

Also, what prices can I expect?

Personally I like AquaCal heat pumps, though there are several other good brands and only small differences between them.

Heat pumps are best when you are trying to maintain the water temperature continuously and the air temperature is reasonably warm. Gas heat is far better for occasional, or special event, heating of the pool or when outdoor air temperatures are below about 50 degrees.

harleysilo said:
Here's the other thread where type of heating was hashed out

explain-gas-heat-for-a-pool-to-me-like-i-m-a-4-year-old-t43288.html

You have a relatively small volume of water to heat, do you have budget in mind?

Thanks for the link, but that was actually a thread I started, while debating. I just don't see gas being feasible. Plus, if we use the pool regularly, as my wife promises, then heat pump is probably the right call.

It's the wife's idea, so no budget! Only my projects have budgets...go figure. Her point is that we both work hard and if our children want to enjoy the pool at night, during the week, etc. then we should be able to join them - neither of us likes cold water. To be honest, after adding the blanket, it's only about 4 -5 degrees we're talking about. With the blanket, the top 10 inches of water can get uncomfortably hot, but past that it cools pretty quickly. Solar would do the trick, but our property just can't handle it. Heck, cutting some neighbor's trees back would probably net us a couple degrees, but that was shot down as well.

I got an AquaComfort for my pool, and it's been working very well so far. I live in MA, so we've had a cool spring so far, but we and the kids have already enjoyed the pool for several weeks. Granted, I don't use a solar cover, so we are losing a lot of heat at night. But so far the pool has been in the low 80s during the warmer days of May. We are going to have a heat wave here starting today, so I expect the pool to be at 85 very soon today (it's around 80 right now).

It's true that the heat pump can't keep up with cold spells, especially rainy ones like we've had. The pool was down to 65 a few days ago. But if you use a cover, you will be much better off. My kids and wife will be home all summer, so having the heat pump made sense so they could enjoy the pool all the time.

joseywales said:
harleysilo said:
Here's the other thread where type of heating was hashed out

explain-gas-heat-for-a-pool-to-me-like-i-m-a-4-year-old-t43288.html

You have a relatively small volume of water to heat, do you have budget in mind?

Thanks for the link, but that was actually a thread I started, while debating. I just don't see gas being feasible. Plus, if we use the pool regularly, as my wife promises, then heat pump is probably the right call.

It's the wife's idea, so no budget! Only my projects have budgets...go figure. Her point is that we both work hard and if our children want to enjoy the pool at night, during the week, etc. then we should be able to join them - neither of us likes cold water. To be honest, after adding the blanket, it's only about 4 -5 degrees we're talking about. With the blanket, the top 10 inches of water can get uncomfortably hot, but past that it cools pretty quickly. Solar would do the trick, but our property just can't handle it. Heck, cutting some neighbor's trees back would probably net us a couple degrees, but that was shot down as well.

LOL i knew that was your thread i just linked it here so people could see you've made up your mind about a heat pump....who installed your pool? Would you be interested in having that same company come out and hook up the heat pump? Perhaps they have decent pricing and good warranty service on the stuff they sell?

That said and authorized service person for my heat pump is an air conditioning service man, the units are very very similar.

Sorry i can't recommend a specific model, but i would want it as big as the budget allows. Probably not an issue for you, but they make them that both heat and cool the pool. My problem becomes I can't get the pool below 94-96 during the summer, however had i bought the slightly more expensive one that cools too than I could just have the pool a constant temperature.

I might try that company. Truth is, they are a landscaping company that sells pools. Ours was installed, 4 years ago??? I'll give them a call, as I know they sell pools, spas, etc. They were the best price on the install and did a good job. Our ground wasn't the easiest to dig/level, so they took one on the chin there.

I'm reading where folks in MA, etc. recommend gas heat, but I have less than 8M gallons, so I'm figuring the heat pump will get the job done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.