Silky Swim Goodbye DRY

dattia

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2008
West Chester, PA
I saw this product in a local store yesterday and was wondering if anyone here has tried it, and what they think of the results. Silkyswim.com
I read through the info and it seems they are not willing to give up the ingredients, saying it is proprietary and unlike anything on the market. If I recall, the bottle was close to $40

Well, a couple of major "rules" for BBB is never put anything in your pool where you don't know the ingredients and only put in what your pool needs....based on that I would personally pass on this product.

What about pool salt, that will soften the water.

'Pool salt' will NOT soften water. The addition of pool salt to a pool, is solely for the purpose of turning the salt into chlorine. 'Salt water' pools are very harsh to the skin & hair - the addition of a borate product (which WILL soften the water) or Goodbye Dry is highly recommended to counteract the drying effects of the salt.

'Pool salt' will NOT soften water. The addition of pool salt to a pool, is solely for the purpose of turning the salt into chlorine. 'Salt water' pools are very harsh to the skin & hair - the addition of a borate product (which WILL soften the water) or Goodbye Dry is highly recommended to counteract the drying effects of the salt.

Nonsense. Salt in the water provides great benefit in comfort to swimmers and is often added purely for the improved feel. No need for your snake oil additive. Properly maintained water is not drying nor is it harsh on skin or hair. Water becomes harsh when you blindly add chemicals without understanding the chemistry of your water.

Technically, "softening" water requires removing calcium. None of the suggested products do that at all. However, both salt and borates will create a similar "soft" feeling, for different reasons, and it is plausible that "Goodbye Dry" might do the same thing. Personally, I am happy to stick with the proven products that are well understood and known not to have any significant down side, salt and/or borates (I use both).

Let's take a look at this in a reasonable way..... is there something about your pool that you are trying to correct?

You know, dattia, since you have some 400+ posts, that we think that "trying" pool products is not like "trying" shoes, or cosmetics, or a magazine. It is more like "trying" a drug.... there are often harsh side-effects, some known, many unknown or at least minimized by the purveyors of these drugs. I HATE trying cosmetics. Got a drawer full of expensive junk that didn't work, wasn't right, irritated for one reason or another. Yeah, this pool thing would be a LOT like trying cosmetics.

So, is there something hard or harsh about your water that you are hoping to correct?

borax, borax, borax. I took the plunge recently and I must say it is worth it. I'm not positive about the size of the pool but I'm in the 40ppm range or possibly as high as 50ppm and the pool is noticeably easier on the hair and eyes. I may add salt too but I can't imagine the water getting much better than it is now. Borax and salt are both tried and proven methods of improving water feel, I'd go with either or both of them over some expensive snakeoil product. If they don't tell you what's in it then that should be a red flag.

I tried Silky Swim and it clouded the water. I a now at a loss to get it back to the crystal clear it was prior to adding it. Hope I do not have to drain and replace the water. It's been almost a week now and water remains cloudy. Chemical levels show no changes, just the added cloudiness. I would never use it again!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Since the manufacturer will not disclose the ingredients of the product we have no idea what it is nor how to deal with any problems that may stem from it. This is why we do not recommend adding anything to the pool except the very few chemicals that are well understood, have minimal to no side effects, and that keep the water properly disinfected. Generally speaking that means using chlorinating liquid or bleach as the primary source of chlorine and only using other types of chlorine (e.g. Trichlor, Dichlor, Cal-Hypo) when one desires the side effects of those products such as increasing the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) or Calcium Hardness (CH) levels. We do not recommend use of algaecides, clarifiers, flocculants, enzymes, or other products except under very limited circumstances (such as Polyquat algaecide when doing an ascorbic acid metal stain removal treatment). The use of sodium chloride salt or the use of 50 ppm Borates are optional.

If you did not overdose the product, then the cloudiness may be some interaction of the product with something else in your pool. You should get the recommended test kit (see Test Kits Compared) which is the TFTestkits TF-100. Maybe if one of your water parameters is out of normal then we might be able to guess the interaction and propose a solution to correct the problem. Usually with cloudiness the answer is continual circulation/filtration, but without knowing your water chemistry numbers it could be something else such as calcium carbonate over-saturation or algae starting to grow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I checked my chemistry again with the TF-100 and discovered very low FC level and decided to SLAM. Pool is clearing now and I cannot say that the Silky Swim was responsible for my cloudiness. However, I will not add it again. I plan to convert to a SWG in the near future which should provide the benefits I was hoping for from the Silky Swim without any mystery.

Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.