Just switched to BBB - Now I want to automate

Apr 21, 2013
I recently switched to the BBB method and so far so good. I just began researching automatic liquid chlorinators and came across the liquidator. I saw some mention of problems with leaves but wasn't sure what or how these would effect its use. I have a huge oak tree which drops leaves and a tremendous amount of pollen pods in March / April and then acorns in October. It is a pain to deal with but it does provide constant shade during the hot Texas summers.

Just based on this, is the liquidator an option or should I look into something else. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money at the moment. Thanks!

The problem with the LQ (liquidator) and leaves, is that when the skimmer fills with leaves, it increases the suction head and that in turn increases the flow out of the LQ causing it to dump a lot of bleach in the pool. If your suction head doesn't rise much when the skimmer fills with leaves then that won't be a problem for you.

Bama Rambler said:
The problem with the LQ (liquidator) and leaves, is that when the skimmer fills with leaves, it increases the suction head and that in turn increases the flow out of the LQ causing it to dump a lot of bleach in the pool. If your suction head doesn't rise much when the skimmer fills with leaves then that won't be a problem for you.

What do you mean by suction head?

The amount of suction created by the pump when moving water through the suction (skimmer/main drain) side of the system. As the suction gets blocked the suction head (negative pressure) goes up and the water flow goes down.

Bama,

I've been thinking of an LQ or a stenner pump, just to so I understand correctly, any time suction goes down the LQ delivers more chlorine? My normal pressure is 17 psi, when I attach a vacuum hose my pressure drops to 10 psi because of reduced water flow. So during vacuuming the LQ would deliver more chlorine than during normal filter operation. If that's the case then I think the stenner on a separate sync'd timer is the way I want to go.

Dan -- You are correct. Attaching a vacuum hose adds restriction to the suction side thereby increasing suction head, which inversly reduces discharge (filter) pressure. Vacuuming is usually a short term event and doesn't affect the overall addition of FC much, unless you have a suction cleaner that is left in the pool for extended periods of time.

Leaves filling up the skimmer basket during the day and subsequently increasing the suction head therby emptying the LQ is why I went to the Stenner pump and drum.

Any ideas of where to place the liquidator? Can I just disconnect the chlorine feeder and/or ozone and tie into those lines?

Attachments

• IMG_1366.jpeg
    IMG_1366.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_1368.jpeg
    IMG_1368.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_1367.jpeg
    IMG_1367.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 348

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
Hook the outlet of the LQ to the drain port where the ozonator is hooked to now and hook the inlet of the LQ where the tablet feeder is hooked now. That should work.

Thanks. Also, there seems to be an extra port on the pump. Can I use that and leave the ozonator working? I know it doesn't do much but more sanitation the better.

We've had lots of reports where ozonators have caused more problems than they've solved so I wouldn't recommend it, BUT if you really want to leave it hooked up then you can use the other drain plug port for the outlet of the LQ. :)

Bama Rambler said:
Hook the outlet of the LQ to the drain port where the ozonator is hooked to now and hook the inlet of the LQ where the tablet feeder is hooked now. That should work.

Just got the liquidator and the entry points are too big for the supplied parts. Should I just go to home depot / pool store for replacements? I simply do not want to drill into my piping. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.