Is Arm & Hammer Clear Balance safe to use with a DE filter

May 30, 2013
We are new to this DE Filter thing....actually new to the whole pool thing, so please forgive me if my questions are silly! I was told that I should not add clarifier to a pool that runs a DE filter system.

However, I have heard really good things about the Arm and Hammer product called Clear Balance. However, I have not talked to anyone who uses a DE system, they all use cartridge or sand filters.

Is it ok to use these tablets with a DE system.

Thanks so much for your help!

Re: Is Arm & Hammer Clear Balance safe to use with a DE filt

Welcome to TFP!

Arm & Hammer Clear Balance tablets contain baking soda and clarifier in a slow dissolving tablet. Because of their dual nature we don't recommend using them. Products that do more than one thing at a time almost never have the exact balance that you want. It is generally easier and less expensive to add separate chemicals for each "feature" of the combo products, which also gives you more control over the process.

There is nothing inherently wrong with using clarifier with a DE filter, though using clarifier is rarely necessary and generally ends up being more work than other approaches. DE filters already filter quite well, so they almost never need any help from clarifier. Plus, if you do add clarifier the filter can catch debris so quickly that the pressure will go up rapidly and if not tended to right away there is a remote chance of damaging the pump due to lack of water flow.

Also, we do not recommend using clarifier routinely with any kind of filter. Clarifier is only really worth using when you have certain rare problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.