Weekend Away - How to Leave the Pool

May 19, 2013
I bought a house in November with an inground pool and opened it up last week. Details in my sig. This is my first experience maintaining a pool, but the forum here has been a great help. It's finally clean, clear, and on the way to being a swimmable pool (still a bit cold ~ 65 F).

I need to go away for the weekend. Just two and half days.

How should I leave the pool? Shock, cover, set the pump on a timer to run X hours per day? We're getting a lot of leaves and maple "helicopters", so I'm worried about the skimmer getting clogged. It was pretty clogged up after the storm last night. I do have separate lines with shutoff valves for the skimmer and the bottom drain. Should I close the skimmer valve and let the pump draw just from the bottom drain? Can I just leave the pump off while I'm gone?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

Raise the FC up towards shock level and put a cover on and you will be fine. Best to have the pump running for at least a few hours each day and leave both the skimmer and floor partly open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.