DE Filter Woes...No D.E. in filter?

May 28, 2008
Hello all.

When opening my pool last weekend, I added D.E. to my filter through the skimmer. However, I think that the D.E. ended up in my pool. The pressure on my filter is 4 psi and didn't rise at all when the D.E. was added, but the pool became cloudy. So I waited a little while then decided to backwash the filter, but the water was clear the whole time. Then, I decided to open up the filter and found no D.E. at all in it. I did a cursory inspection but didn't find any rips or tears on the inside. So, I put it back together and turned the filter back on, and the pressure is still 4. Any ideas why the filter isn't accepting the D.E.? Any help would be appreciated.

The pool is 20,000 gallons and the filter is 60 sq. ft.

If it's going back into the pool, there has to be a breach some where in the grids or piping inside the filter. I had this problem once, I could not find a hole but changed out 3 questionable grids and the problem went away. One of them had a hole, I just did not find it.

How old are the grids?

I have had the pool for 4 years and I don't think that we have ever changed the grinds. The previous owner had it for 3 years but I am not sure if he ever replaced the grinds.

I took another look at it and found a crack in the plastic part that holds the grinds together (I think its called the manifold). I vaguely remember the same crack being there last season and not having a problem...do you think that could be causing the leak?

I can see SOME of the DE leaking back to the pool from such a small crack, but not all of it. Are you certain that the water valve wasn't in the "recirc" position when you dumped the DE into the skimmer? That would bypass the filter completely. 8)

I am positive it was in the "Filter" position. Even if the D.E. did by pass the filter when it was added, wouldn't it slowly begin to coat the filter once the water containing it was filtered?

Anyway, I guess that that crack is probably at least part of the problem. Would that also account for the low pressure (4 psi) in the filter?

Thanks for all your help so far.

4 PSI is very low, at least when compared to my DE filter. Mine is around 13 PSI when clean.

One other thought... Have you bled the air from the filter tank? The DE can't coat the grids unless the water level in the tank can reach them. It seems to me that if the tank is full, then most of the water would pass through the grids, leaving the majority of the DE behind.

I suppose that if the water level is very low and the bottom manifold is cracked then the DE would find its way back to the pool. :(

I bled all of the air out of the tank before I added the DE and after took the tank apart to look at it inside. All the water is filling the tank.

Also, I am pretty sure than only the top manifold is cracked. If this is the case, shouldn't only the top part of the grinds not have D.E. on them?

And one more thing :wink: When I do get this problem solved, should I add more D.E. or let the D.E. that is in the pool coat the filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.