Sand filter.....how much to add

May 13, 2008
Hello, I am going to apologize ahead of time because this question is probably crazy. :oops: :scratch: Anyway we are installing our pool and are hopefully getting water this weekend, therefore we need to get our filter ready. Our filter is 150lb sand filter......now for the crazy part.....do we fill the filter with sand (don't know if 150lb of sand fills it or not), or just put 150lb of sand in it? :oops: :scratch: Thanks in advance for all of your help. :flower:

sewz,

Welcome to the forum! YOur filter requires 150 lbs of sand...get filter sand from the pool store or maybe Lowe's/HD...don't get play sand.

It will fill your filter about 2/3 of the way.

PS - put about a foot or so of water in it first to act as sort of a cushion to protect the pipes you see down near the bottom.

Thank you, I kinda figured it would take 150lb....but didn't want to put too much in. I picked the sand up today from pool store where they tried to sell me some sort of "frog" system!?! She swore it was the best, so I asked her if she used it in her pool.....

to which her answer was, "um well I don't have a pool"!?! :hammer: I then told her that I ONLY wanted the filter sand. Thanks again for answering my crazy question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.