Main Drain Repair

Sep 1, 2012
Camillus, NY
Hi all! :wave:

Now that we're back into pool season, we're looking to repair our main drain, which we lost in a rather awful liner replacement experience with a local PB (seriously, you didn't pressure-check the lines?! :grrrr: ).

Anyway, we've begun the dig and uncovered the lines, along with some interesting buried concrete work (more on that later). None of them pressure-check below the frost line unfortunately. Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?

On to the pictures! :whoot:

Day 1: The digging begins!

pool_2013-05-25_000.png

pool_2013-05-25_001.png

pool_2013-05-25_002.png

pool_2013-05-25_003.png

pool_2013-05-25_004.png

pool_2013-05-25_005.png

pool_2013-05-25_006.png

Day 2: Further down the rabbit hole.... (now we can stand under the pool deck!)

pool_2013-05-26_009.png

pool_2013-05-26_012.png

pool_2013-05-26_010.png

pool_2013-05-26_011.png

See that concrete down there? Surprisingly, the pipe doesn't come out the other end - it disappears into the concrete. Upon further excavation under the concrete, we found an older pipe embedded in the concrete running back towards the pool wall, perpendicular to the visible black pipe the runs into it. Any thoughts about this?

Will update with more as we progress! Any help would be appreciated. :mrgreen:

I don't know your soil conditions, but I would strongly recommend you stay out of that hole. It looks extremely dangerous to me. You have thousands of gallons of water on the other side and you are removing the support for the wall.

JohnT said:
I don't know your soil conditions, but I would strongly recommend you stay out of that hole. It looks extremely dangerous to me. You have thousands of gallons of water on the other side and you are removing the support for the wall.

Mostly a lot of clay and heavy packed dirt. I'm in upstate NY, so we've got pretty good soil compared to some other places I've seen on here.

I do see your point though. Any other way to go about this that would be safer, or should we just give up and move on with just the skimmer?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.