Calcium Hardness

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
I'm confused as to why this test is necessary. Does the hardness affect any of the other chemical components one way or another?? If I'm getting 140 on a calcium hardness test isn't that ok?? Why would I want to make my pool water harder.

Also, how often would I want to test for calcium hardness?? Is say once a week enough??

Thanks!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 using Tapatalk

dschribs said:
I'm confused as to why this test is necessary. Does the hardness affect any of the other chemical components one way or another?? If I'm getting 140 on a calcium hardness test isn't that ok?? Why would I want to make my pool water harder.

Also, how often would I want to test for calcium hardness?? Is say once a week enough??

Thanks!!

For your pool, low CH is no problem. But high CH can lead to scaling, and you can't attack it with a steel brush. If you're only at 140, I'd suspect you don't have hard water, so every couple weeks ought to be plenty.

It's important to make sure in a vinyl pool you don't have too much CH (you don't)

It's VERY important in a masonry pool to make sure you don't have too much or too little. Too little in a masonry pool can leach calcium from the masonry.

CH is pretty darn stable and I would say testing 3- 4 times in the swim season is certainly enough.

(Richard320 beat me)

We just moved into the house and as my wife said after her first shower. "The water seems very hard here". I will keep an eye on it every few weeks. Local pool store wanted me to raise my hardness. Go figure...

dschribs said:
We just moved into the house and as my wife said after her first shower. "The water seems very hard here". I will keep an eye on it every few weeks. Local pool store wanted me to raise my hardness. Go figure...

Of course!

Hardness Increaser is a high markup item.
pirate.gif

So's Alkalinity Increaser - baking soda at 4X or 5X the price you can buy the exact same thing at Costco, but Costco's doesn't come in a spiffy plastic pail.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.