Grandparents pool (not BBB) caused rash

Jul 19, 2011
Hi everyone, back for the first time this year. My pool is fine but last year we went to the grandparents for a month up in Maine and my kids got the wickedest rash anywhere their bathing suits touched. The boys in the nether regions (terribly painful) and the girls sort of all over. They had only a basic test kit, have had the pool for years and have only used the tabs. FC and PH were normal. What could have caused the rashing??? It was pretty bad, bad enough to make them not want to swim and I have got to get it figured out before we can swim this year. Dont want that to happen again. So again, what could be the cause??? What should I look for?? I am bringing my good test kit up with us this year so I can test for everything but wont have good access to the school while I am there. Any help in advance would be appreciated.

There are a couple of different things that can cause that kind of rash that only live in water with drastically too little chlorine. My guess is that their CYA level is wildly high and the FC level is way too low. This will be easy to confirm with good test results. It takes some work to correct, but is straightforward enough to solve.

Ok, I will check the CYA when I get there. Thanks for the tip, they did seem to need chlorine ALL the time. When the water evaporates the CYA just concentrates right? They do have to fill the pool regularly with new water but of course they are always using the tabs too so I guess one cancels out the other.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.