Just getting started with above ground need chlorine advice.

May 30, 2008
First off what a great website / forum!!

I am new to pools and want to keep the water balanced in all areas. I have read the ABC's sticky thread about target ranges for each parameter of pool chemistry. The wife and I just got a pool up before memorial day weekend and I have at the moment a high free available chlorine level of at least 4 ppm. This is as a result of me adding a 1lb bag of (Pool breeze) brand granular shock treatment which is of the calcium hypochlorite variety. Today I decided to go to my local Leslie's pool supply and have them look at my water sample and the guy said my chlorine level is too high (bleached out) to get an accurate reading of my pH etc.

I had some questions about my CYA as I want to make sure to have it at the right range as well as what form of chlorine to use. I told the guy at Leslie's that I had the calcium hypochlorite form and he said he did not recommend it as it could build up the calcium in my pool I believe he said.

So my question to you here at the forums is:

First off do you feel the calcium hypochlorite form of chlorine would be less desirable than say another variety?

I see that Leslie's carries 3 in jumbo tabs of trichlor 90% available chlorine.

If I wanted to switch forms of chlorine from the calcium hypochlorite form to the type in trichlor do I need to take certain measures in this transition?

After I get this issue sorted out do you all just recommend I use a floater for regular chlorine maintenance between weekly shocks or what is the best approach in your view?

I thank you all in advance for your help in this matter.

Re: Just getting started with above ground need chlorine adv

fellowship said:

First off do you feel the calcium hypochlorite form of chlorine would be less desirable than say another variety?

If I wanted to switch forms of chlorine from the calcium hypochlorite form to the type in trichlor do I need to take certain measures in this transition?

After I get this issue sorted out do you all just recommend I use a floater for regular chlorine maintenance between weekly shocks or what is the best approach in your view?

My answer to all your CL questions is, use BLEACH not the tabs, and a FC of 4ppm will not "bleach out" your ph reading. The tabs you are using will add more "stuff" to your pool then you need. Read the stickies and learn the BBB method, there are LOTS of smart and nice people on here that will help you out.

Hey, fellowhip,

Welcome to the forum. Just to add a little to what Boyd said, Cal hypo adds calcium to your pool. Not necessary and can build up over time. IMO, the pucks are worse. They add CYA and that builds up and causes much bigger problems.

Plain old bleach adds nothing to your pool but chlorine. That's why it is the preferred vehicle for chlorinating.

Again, welcome. Ask lot's of questions. There's good folks here with the answers.

IMO if you need to raise your CYA you could use the pucks for a short while, but it isn't really worth the expense when you can just use bleach and put some CYA in a sock...etc.

I'm actually surprised that a pool store tried to discourage you from using the Cal-Hypo. The one over here sells it for nearly $5 a bag-I'm sure that's a money maker for them!

I had a pool store sell me calcium, in buckets, without asking what kind of pool I had.

You just never know.

:wink:
fellowship said:
First off what a great website / forum!!

I am new to pools and want to keep the water balanced in all areas. I have read the ABC's sticky thread about target ranges for each parameter of pool chemistry. The wife and I just got a pool up before memorial day weekend and I have at the moment a high free available chlorine level of at least 4 ppm. This is as a result of me adding a 1lb bag of (Pool breeze) brand granular shock treatment which is of the calcium hypochlorite variety. Today I decided to go to my local Leslie's pool supply and have them look at my water sample and the guy said my chlorine level is too high (bleached out) to get an accurate reading of my pH etc.

Congratulations on your new pool!

As PI said, 4 ppm FC will not bleach out a test.

I had some questions about my CYA as I want to make sure to have it at the right range as well as what form of chlorine to use. I told the guy at Leslie's that I had the calcium hypochlorite form and he said he did not recommend it as it could build up the calcium in my pool I believe he said.

No, we recommend liquid chlorine (bleach) or a SWG. We do NOT do weekly shocks! We only shock when needed...which is rare! Our pools stay sparkly clear and clean and beautiful! This is accomplished by maintaining proper water balance. It takes most of us about 5 minutes a day to do this.

I thank you all in advance for your help in this matter.

Since you read the ABC's stickey, here is another that is helpful!

"BBB" or, "What are all these pool chemicals?" by Waterbear: http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=94

The best investment we made in our pool is a good test kit! The TF Test kit sold here by one of our members, duraleigh, is the most recommended (link in my sig). His kit comes with his 'on line' support here on TFP which we find invaluable!

What kit are you using to test your water?

Please post a FULL set of test results (from the pool store if you need to) so that members can give you good answers!

Also, please add all your equipment and pool information in your signature. We need this, too

BTW, I love your username :lol: Welcome to the forum :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.