Looking for the proper surge protector to install at the pad

Hawk

Aug 9, 2011
Southern California
I have 240v out to the equipment pad and I'm upgrading from an Intermatic timer to a new Easy Touch 4 system.
1- I have read here that it's appropriate to add some type of surge protection for the control panel, could you point out a model I should look at?
2- I am also going to install new GFCI breakers for the new (Intelliflo VF) pump, existing heater, and for the single pool and single spa lights. Should I also install one for the control panel transformer as well?
Thanks in advance.

Re: Looking for the proper surge protector to install at the

1) There are a lot of whole house protectors that will work for you. Leviton makes a decent whole house protector that I'm familiar with. The 51120 series would be a good choice.
2) I would install one on everything in that panel.

I'm a big fan of GFCIs (and surge supressors). But, for those of us on a budget, there is relief.

A GFCI cannot "see" past a transformer. So the GFCI is either protecting 10 inches of wire inside the automation box or 10 feet of wire to the light transformer, if you have one. The wires past the transformer are safe becouse of the transformer. The GFCI, in this case, has no effect on bather safety.

Modern GFCI breakers and receptacles are subject to the same strict standards, and the same flaws in the system. A good name brand of either is just as safe. There is no reason to put a modern GFCI receptacle on a GFCI breaker. Older GFCI receptacles should be replaced with modern GFCI receptacles.

A 15 amp GFCI circuit can easily protect four 300 watt pool lights. The only advantage to having lights on different circuits is knowing which light is at fault when the GFCI trips. If you're calling a pool tech to fix the lights anyway, diagnosing which light is at fault should be simple for him to do.

Although very common, putting surge protector wires under the main lugs is a code violation. Putting two wires in a lug not listed for it is a violation. That includes almost all lugs on breakers. The surge protector should have its own, not GFCI, breaker.

Glennsparky said:
I'm a big fan of GFCIs (and surge supressors). But, for those of us on a budget, there is relief.

A GFCI cannot "see" past a transformer. So the GFCI is either protecting 10 inches of wire inside the automation box or 10 feet of wire to the light transformer, if you have one. The wires past the transformer are safe becouse of the transformer. The GFCI, in this case, has no effect on bather safety.

Modern GFCI breakers and receptacles are subject to the same strict standards, and the same flaws in the system. A good name brand of either is just as safe. There is no reason to put a modern GFCI receptacle on a GFCI breaker. Older GFCI receptacles should be replaced with modern GFCI receptacles.

A 15 amp GFCI circuit can easily protect four 300 watt pool lights. The only advantage to having lights on different circuits is knowing which light is at fault when the GFCI trips. If you're calling a pool tech to fix the lights anyway, diagnosing which light is at fault should be simple for him to do.

Although very common, putting surge protector wires under the main lugs is a code violation. Putting two wires in a lug not listed for it is a violation. That includes almost all lugs on breakers. The surge protector should have its own, not GFCI, breaker.

All great info Glenn, thanks for passing it on. Also, Welcome to the board!
I'll put the surge protector on it's own breaker, will a 15 amp single pole be sufficient? By isolating the surge protector to it's own breaker, will it still protect all circuits in that load center?

Yes. As long as that breaker is on... :) You will need a 2-pole breaker since the surge protector protects both legs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.