auto pilot swg low amps

monte1

Jun 15, 2010
Have a autopilot swg with sc48 cell. salt tested at 3000 reads 28v 4.2 amps level 3 running at 110v. Just opend pool from long winter in New England water temp is 69. I remove cell and electronics and store inside for the winter. We only use pool 3-31/2 months every season. Getting warning/ check cell. I cleaned cell with muriatic acid and water per instructions. Outer plates have some wear and discoloration. Seems to have very low chlorine output. The amp hours are reading 31679 Ph 7.8 cya 30 ta 80 ch 130 a bit low.Pool size 18x36 vinyl liner. I,m Thinking the cell is tired. Is there any other things i can check electrically. I am a electronics tech by trade. Wondering if any problems with power supply. This seems to the first season with any probles I am Willing to spend $ for new cell just want to be sure its the problem. Can't remeber when i purchased and installed the generatior but has been flawless untill now. i want thank all in forum for all your insight. I use the bbb method the best thing i did. People comment on how my pool looks and how i keep so consistant

If any of the corners of the cell plates are worn down then it is almost certainly the cell wearing out. Volts at 28 or 29 volts and amps below 5 is also a sign of the cell wearing out. About the only thing that can mimic a cell wearing out is calcium scaling on the cell plates, and the muriatic cleaning would have taken care of that. A power supply issue can't be completely ruled out, but a power supply problem that looks this much like a cell wearing out is quite unlikely.

Low salt and cold water temperatures with this SC-48 cell can also contribute to high volts and low amps. have the salt tested by your local pool store to verify that the unit is reading correctly. 69 degrees would be considered a bit on the cold side.
After you test the salt, if the unit is not consistent with the test result, calibrate salt reading in the MAINTENANCE MENU. Let me know if you need instructions for this.
Another helpful hint with cold temperature conditions is to increase the salt level to compensate. Adding enough salt to get it to 3500 - 4000 ppm should get rid of the warning light.
The best way to really determine the condition of the cell is to test it when the water temps are warmer, cell is clean of scale, and salt level is confirmed at 3000 ppm or higher. THEN, press BOOST, let it run for a minute, then do the TEST POOL PILOT. The amps and volts, at this point, will show the condition of the cell.

As Jason mentioned, the condition of the leading edges of the terminal blades, which are the two outer blades for your cell, will visually indicate the condition as well. Since you will not be able to distinguish the amount of coating of Ruthenium Oxide remains on the titanium blades, the erosion of the edge of the terminal blades will coincide with cell depletion.

Low salt and cold water temperatures with this SC-48 cell can also contribute to high volts and low amps. have the salt tested by your local pool store to verify that the unit is reading correctly. 69 degrees would be considered a bit on the cold side.
After you test the salt, if the unit is not consistent with the test result, calibrate salt reading in the MAINTENANCE MENU. Let me know if you need instructions for this.
Another helpful hint with cold temperature conditions is to increase the salt level to compensate. Adding enough salt to get it to 3500 - 4000 ppm should get rid of the warning light.
The best way to really determine the condition of the cell is to test it when the water temps are warmer, cell is clean of scale, and salt level is confirmed at 3000 ppm or higher. THEN, press BOOST, let it run for a minute, then do the TEST POOL PILOT. The amps and volts, at this point, will show the condition of the cell.

As Jason mentioned, the condition of the leading edges of the terminal blades, which are the two outer blades for your cell, will visually indicate the condition as well. Since you will not be able to distinguish the amount of coating of Ruthenium Oxide remains on the titanium blades, the erosion of the edge of the terminal blades will coincide with cell depletion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.