How to test for 12ppm FC CL with the TF TestKit?

lovingHDTV

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I just ordered the test kit for my pool. I have my water tested at the pool store and have 100ppm stabilizer.

Being in the Austin, TX area and my pool getting direct sun all day long I want to keep my CYA levels high. I prefer getting them down to 70-80ppm range. To do this I will stop using the tri-chlor pucks and will monitor till it drops to where I want it.

However, how do I test for the 12ppm FC CL that I need with a test kit that tests betwee 1-5ppm? I read something about using distilled water to change the testing range, but was hoping for a little more direction.

Is there some info out there somewhere?

thanks!

Well I looked some more and it appears that I can use the OTO test for a daily test by using 2 parts distilled water to 1 part pool water and multiply by 3. This would give me a quick 5-15ppm test that I can do daily.

Is this correct?

thanks,

That dilution method is not very accurate. It will be an indicator but I'd say +- 3-5ppm would be common.

Of course, with your new kit, you can do the FAS/DPD test and feel pretty comfortable down to .5ppm....very accurate up to 25ppm plus.

Perhaps you could do an FAS/DPD test and then an OTO dilution test right beside it to get a baseline color. Then you could do the OTO dilution daily "remembering" that baseline color in your mind.

I see your need for a quick test but you'll want to confirm your results every now and then with the FAS/DPD.

What I wanted to do is a quick test daily or so, then an accurate one every week. Sounds like I will be able to do this.

I understand that CYA will not leave on its own, but with the amount of water that gets splashed out of my pool, and through backwashing I expect the CYA to go down over time. I won't be adding anymore anytime soon either.

thanks for all the help!

dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.