Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to test for 12ppm FC CL with the TF TestKit?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to test for 12ppm FC CL with the TF TestKit?

I just ordered the test kit for my pool. I have my water tested at the pool store and have 100ppm stabilizer.

Being in the Austin, TX area and my pool getting direct sun all day long I want to keep my CYA levels high. I prefer getting them down to 70-80ppm range. To do this I will stop using the tri-chlor pucks and will monitor till it drops to where I want it.

However, how do I test for the 12ppm FC CL that I need with a test kit that tests betwee 1-5ppm? I read something about using distilled water to change the testing range, but was hoping for a little more direction.

Is there some info out there somewhere?

thanks!
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

2. Back To Top    #2

Well I looked some more and it appears that I can use the OTO test for a daily test by using 2 parts distilled water to 1 part pool water and multiply by 3. This would give me a quick 5-15ppm test that I can do daily.

Is this correct?

thanks,
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, that should get you close.

If you use 1:1 distilled water to pool water you multiply by 2.

If you use 2:1 distilled water to pool water you miltiply by 3.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Your CYA level will not drop on its own. The sun does not affect it, and it does not evaporate. It will only get lowered through partially draining (or backwashing to waste) and refilling.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    That dilution method is not very accurate. It will be an indicator but I'd say +- 3-5ppm would be common.

Of course, with your new kit, you can do the FAS/DPD test and feel pretty comfortable down to .5ppm....very accurate up to 25ppm plus.

Perhaps you could do an FAS/DPD test and then an OTO dilution test right beside it to get a baseline color. Then you could do the OTO dilution daily "remembering" that baseline color in your mind.

I see your need for a quick test but you'll want to confirm your results every now and then with the FAS/DPD.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

What I wanted to do is a quick test daily or so, then an accurate one every week. Sounds like I will be able to do this.

I understand that CYA will not leave on its own, but with the amount of water that gets splashed out of my pool, and through backwashing I expect the CYA to go down over time. I won't be adding anymore anytime soon either.

thanks for all the help!

dave