Moving into House w/pool (duh)

May 29, 2013
Buckeye, AZ
HI,

I have almost no information on my pool. I'm just dipping my big toe into this forum. I close on my house on the 7th and then get to figure out how my pool works. All I know right now is that it's relatively small, probably 10-12k, pebbletec with what I think is a Jandy CL cartridge filter, not sure of the size.

Don't really have questions at the moment though I know I will and just wanted to introduce myself. So...hey! I have taken the initial step and ordered a TF100 testing kit and have been browsing the laundry aisle of my grocery store and located the bleach and borax. Other than staring quizzically at the pool calculator all I can say is I feel a little overwhelmed, not just a new house and all the issues that go with that but a pool for a guy who has never owned one and really looking forward to my own personal retreat from the Arizona summers.

So, ahead of time I just want to say....thank you!

Welcome to the forum! You're already about 1,000% ahead of anyone here with a first post just by ordering a good test kit. Devour pool school in the meantime till you can get your hands on that pool. Please list all your equipment and such in a sig line like mine at the bottom when you can.

Welcome. Yes, the pool stuff all seems a bit overwhelming at first, but if you keep reading Pool School and asking questions, it will soon click. Once you can test your water it will make more sense too.

My biggest newbie problem was thinking that I needed to add CL, baking soda, borax, and calcium to my pool, even when it was fine. I was just itching to get out there and add stuff!

Same boat here mojo. You are 4 days ahead of me -we close on the 11th. My inspection said ours is 14k with some mustard algae on the walls (something to look forward to) even though the water was clear when I looked at it. I've got my kit on order too, was going to pay $100 for pool school but I'm thinking I can figure it out with these folks help.

Looking forward to hearing how your first few days go.

Frightening how we can't do anything abou the condition of our pools until we get those keys in our hands.

I also thought about just hiring a pool service to handle the pool for this summer but then I am only spending money and wasting time until the inevitable. We just may have a lot of bleach in our near futures, I wish you luck on your pool and blossoming algae problem...I very well will be facing something similar.

I am still waiting for the short sale to complete on my potential new old house. It is now on month 2. The house is 4 houses down from where I am renting. The people I think have moved out. Got the T-100 and been reading a lot, just can't do anything

ugh

rob

themalldude said:
Same boat here mojo. You are 4 days ahead of me -we close on the 11th. My inspection said ours is 14k with some mustard algae on the walls (something to look forward to) even though the water was clear when I looked at it. I've got my kit on order too, was going to pay $100 for pool school but I'm thinking I can figure it out with these folks help.

You got that one right!

Welcome! :wave: Both of you!

Richard320 said:
themalldude said:

You got that one right!

Welcome! :wave: Both of you!

I'd be tempted to just jump over the wall in the middle of the night and either treat it or go for a midnight swim.

Thanks Deb & Richard!

Hello Badmojo, rlefig, and themalldude! Welcome to the site. Post some pictures of your pool when you get a chance. Also fill out your signature so everyone knows what you have to better help you. I just installed my pool about 9 months ago but I have learned a lot on this site. You will make a lot of friends here and receive a lot of help. Good luck!

Dave Hurley

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow Also closing on a house with pool June 7th. I have ordered the tf100 test kit also. Been reading quite a bit on this site. Great info thx,,
Mine is a estate sale so not alot of info on pool. They did due almost $7000 worth of repairs last summer. Leak detection Repaired cracks, caulked,
sandblasted and new paint.. approx. 22k gallons i think Oval 18x30. Sta rite sand filter Pump is .75 hp... Pool looks not so bad lots of leaves on top of cover and quite a few tadpoles to clean up. Under cover looks some what decent.. Cant wait,,

Grabbed a couple of pics below.

Can't wait!

-tmd[attachment=0:2tq63dg3]Pool2.jpg[/attachment:2tq63dg3][attachment=1:2tq63dg3]Pool.jpg[/attachment:2tq63dg3]

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Pool2.jpg
    Pool2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 74
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.