Auto Fill with Metering Valve - does such a thing exist ?

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
Ok, so I know the auto fill stuff exists, and I have one. The mechanical kind, like a toilet. Seems to be simple and easy.

HOWEVER, my issue is this...if for some reason it sticks OPEN, in theory I could overfill the pool and it could run for DAYS, flooding my basement, etc.

Is there SOME kind of flow meter, that say will only allow 500 gal of water to flow and then will shut off ? Thus saving a potential flood. I know this is most likely not going to happen, but just trying to think of all things.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance !

Re: Auto Fill with Metering Valve - does such a thing exist

Ok, no answers means this is not a common thing :)

Did a bunch of research and found this

http://www.amazon.com/Watts-Premier...UTF8&colid=2ON7PO0OX6HN9&coliid=IZTJQOYPD45FM

Looks like I would have to figure out how to plum, but would this in theory work ?

Set it on 1,800 gallons...if the pool called for water it would start flowing and if the auto fill STUCK - this would limit the "flood" to 1,800 vs. running for days.

What did you think ?

Without looking at the specs, I would be concerned how it would reset itself.

For example:
You set the limit to 1200 gal.
Day one - you need to add 500 gal, your auto fill adds 500 gal and shuts off
Day two - you need to add 500 gal, your auto fill adds 500 gal and shuts off
Day three - you need to add 500 gal, your autofill tries to add 500, but the meter shuts it off after only 200 - the autofill would stay open
Day four - now you need to add 800, but the meter is still closed
Day five - you need 1300

See my point? Unless the meter has an automatic reset, you will have to remember to reset it, and that kind of defeats the concept of having an autofill in the first place!

Edit:
I looked at the product more closely, and what I described above would happen. After the meter reaches its' limit and shuts the flow off, you have to turn the dial and reset it. Most likely, this is designed for lawn watering or something like that.

Ok, so I checked it out again and noticed I could get the 3800 gallon limit.

So on my pool that is a full foot of water before it would cut it out.

My primary use of this is long weekends....so if I just RESET on Friday when I leave - very slim odds it would need 1FT of water by Monday.

My worry is that dang little mechanical auto fill float fails and I get 96 hours of water flowing into my basement.

I am good at checking things like this, so I am not worried about the "lack" of an auto reset feature. At least we all agree it would accomplish what I am trying to do !!!

Well - I could certainly do that. But I think I was worried about losing enough water through evaporation over the course of 4 days. Since I've never owned a pool I was not sure...you are right, I may be overthinking this totally.

In my pool in Dallas, in the heat of the summer, I loose maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch per day. I think you'll be fine for a long weekend - probably a whole week. The only real risk is the water level getting below the skimmers. To eliminate that risk, you could shut the skimmers off while you're gone and just pull water from the bottom drain assuming it's plumbed for that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

haha, not trying to discourage you from experimenting!! I often like to do things just because I "can", not because I need to.

If you do end up putting it in, let us know how it turns out...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.