Beware false pH readings!

May 22, 2013
Dallas, TX
Test was re-run and the aberrant reading was not observed. The earlier reading must have been due to a contaminated vial. ???
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just bought a Taylor K-2006 test kit. I got a shock this morning when I tested my pH. I got a very acidic reading, which did not make any sense because I had checked the pH after refilling the pool and had added nothing but chlorine that could affect the pH reading. I had an older test kit on hand that contained a chlorine neutralizer reagent. I tested with the old test kit using the neutralizer and sure enough, the pH was right on the money, 7.5. I then read the Taylor test kit book. It advises against using the neutralizer and says their reagents contain the chlorine neutralizer and no additional neutralizer is needed. I used a drop of the neutralizer from the other test kit and reran the numbers with the Taylor, and sure enough ... the Taylor kit gave 7.5.

My chlorine level is about 5 ppm (CYA around 50). This is apparently enough to overwhelm the chlorine neutralizer in the Taylor reagent.

Beware! You may wind up trying to balance your pH to a false number!

Reactions: RhondaF
What does the FAS-DPD test say is your FC reading?

If you're relying on just the OTO test, I find anything from 4-7 looks like 5, and even as high as 10 only looks a little off, schoolbus yellow more than canary yellow.

If you got the FC reading from the DPD test - pink color matching - be aware that it can bleach out and give a false low FC reading.

Maybe you're at 15, the DPD bleached out so you see 5ish, and the pH test went nuts?

The pH test uses shades of color, not intensity. SOmetimes, for whatever reason, it looks pale. I add another drop of pH reagent and the color gets more intense without changing hue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.