need some help please!

May 28, 2013
Southern PA
I was thinking of putting this in the BBB forum but I have a few other questions.

Last yr we had a kiddie pool 10'x30" and tried the htc start up kit etc......without going into long story the pool was only in operation for maybe 2 months and a lot of issues during that time. Coming home after 3 days and seeing it dark green I basically gave up since it was the end of august. We now have a new pool this year and I wanted to try to really understand how to do this right. I discovered the BBB method on pool solutions and decided to give it a try. They also have a start up "to buy and to do" list for kiddie pools. They haven't answered a single question for over a week so I stumbled on this site and I am hoping someone can help me with my questions.

First here are my stats
10'30" intex pool (I believe it's vinyl? Its the ones that are easy set...w/ the inflatable ring)
530 Gallon Cartridge Filter Pump
calculated 767gallons

After 1st night:
Chlorine (not sure which kind) was a 5
PH was 7.2

That night I did another dose of Borax to raise the PH put the algaecide in and went to bed.

My daughter wanted to get in the pool the next day (to cold in my opinion) but I tested the water at about 1pm.
Chlorine did NOTHING ....the drops didn't change the color AT ALL
PH: was between 7.4-7.8

I bought a 6way HTC kit from walmart...(not a taylor)...the start up guide just suggested the 2 pack test but I went one up from it.
This is what the start up says from the site and I am following

Step-by-Step
1.Buy your supplies (see above)
2.Fill the pool.
3.Measure the diameter (the distance across the middle of the pool), OR the length and width of your pool. Write down your measurements.
4.Measure the depth at the water line (NOT at the top edge of the pool). Write down your measurements.
5.Use the calculation form to figure gallons AND doses. Be sure to test, after you dose!
6.Add the start up bleach dose, and the borax. Wait 1 hour, then test. The chlorine level should be 3.0 or higher, and the pH should be 7.4 or higher. If not, repeat the doses.
7.Add the algaecide dose.
You might be tempted to omit the algaecide. Don't do so! This particular product is nearly non-toxic to humans, unlike many other algaecides, but provides significant 'backup' sanitation if the chlorine gets low. It' particularly effective, in combination with chlorine, at controlling some bacteria that cause ear infections, and that are rather chlorine resistant.
8.Test the pool BEFORE each use. If the chlorine is below 2.0, add one dose of the dichlor granular chlorine product. Mix, and wait 10 minutes before entry.
9.If you do not have a pump and filter, DRAIN the pool weekly! If you don't care about your children's health, you don't have to bother with draining.

Did the sun eat up all the chlorine? Is that why it didn't register at all? (I tested 3x) The dichlor granular is coming from amazon today cause I couldn't find it in any stores so I haven't added that yet.
A few things they don't tell you. Can chlorine get too high? I assume the bleach is the "shock". Do I just do it this one time? Last yr I was to shock it weekly. How often do you put the algaecide in? In the calculations area it looks like it is 2x a week but I'm not sure.

Basically I am not sure how to proceed today. Do I reshock or just add the dichlor when it comes in?
I know this is just a kiddie pool and can be drained easily but it takes 4/5hrs to fill up and I don't want to. I want to do this right. Last year we all got horrible ear infections (NOT swimmers ear) and bacterial infections from the pool. I would like to upgrade in another yr or so (daughter is just 2) so I hoping keeping the pool in good shape will encourage my husband in that direction!

thanks for taking the time to read this. I know if was a lot. I am VERY confused on chemicals and it seems the more I read the more I get confused.
People are always talking about CC or FC ...combined and free right? Don't know the difference and not sure what my tester tests when the highest # is a 5.
Hoping someone can shed a little light on this for me!
Thanks
Tanya

Welcome to TFP.

Give us a list of what all you've put in the pool and how much.
I know borax and chlorine, but how much and when?

Spend some time reading Pool School. especially about startup.

Since you're just starting out it's completely probable that the sun burned all the FC up in a short while. Add more! You can use the Pool Calculator the figure out how much you need to add.

Welcome,

You can do this and once you learn it'll be easy. For your pool you might want to start here http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/temporary_pool_guide but don't stop there. I had almost the exact same pool and once I found this site I managed with the same test kit you have now. It's not the best and if you have an algae outbreak you might be better off dumping the water and starting over. But once you have balanced water you can maintain that pool with it.

Looks like ping sent you to same place I did. :)

Welcome! :wave:

A couple kids and no chlorine sunblock (stabilizer aka CYA) will use up all the chlorine. Perfectly normal. Stop panicking!

A couple hours reading in Pool School will get you going. A little CYA, a little bleach, it will be fine.

You won't need algaecide. Save your money.

tx for the quick responses! :-D

pool 767 gallons
Monday evening:
Bleach: 2 1/4 cups (using 8% bleach) (1 dose only)
Borax: 1 cup (total 2 doses)
Algaecide: .6 tbsp.

Today : No chlorine registering
PH: 7.4

I have added nothing since Monday night. Dichlor powder getting here today sometime.

TX

You can use the dichlor until you have enough CYA in the pool then convert to bleach. Use the pool calculator to see how much CYA each addition of dichlor puts in the pool. Once you get to 30-50 then switch to bleach

Tx ....apparently I had a problem with my order and my dichlor won't be here until Tuesday!!!! Any suggestions? or just need to keep dumping tons of bleach? Also...since switching (this yr) to the BBB I noticed our skin is SUPER dry when we get out. Is there anything that can be added to help that?
Thanks for everyone's quick responses! :)

Tanya

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.