Dents in bottom of pool - help

cshelm

May 23, 2008
Georgia
Help - I have a vinyl IG will sand floor. the pool is in its' 5th season, at the end of last summer I discovered two spots that feel like small craters in the slooped sides of the pool. The are on opposite sides of the deep end. At first the were about the diameter of a golf ball. Noe they are about the size of a baseball and there is a third crater. What's going on and what can I do?

My husband and I just noticed a few small dents in the bottom of our above ground pool that was just installed. I swear they weren't there before but can't be certain. They are also on the sloped part near the sides. Our worst is about the side of a golf ball. We didn't know if it was just a normal result of the sand settling or if we have a bigger problem... so I'll be watching the responses to this thread as well.

Note that we built up the dirt around the pool and put a few feet of crushed stone around the perimeter, so I doubt we have an issue with water getting under or sand washing away...

It sounds like you have erosion of the wall going on behind the liner.

There are a few causes:

1) Water getting in behind the liner seal somehow.

2) Holes in the liner (very small) causing the evaporation

Are the spots symmetrical? If so, and especially if they are happening at some sort of event in the liner (eg, a seam), the leak might not be where the voids are but instead somewhere else.

I would attempt to find it though. Vinyl liners are not meant to support that much water over a void (eg, nothign supporting the liner) especially if its in the deep end. That is a lot of weight pushing on it and eventually when it gets big enough, it will probably give in, leaving you with a large hole.

I'm afraid I don't have much advice on how to fix it though.

katkami,

You would not see bubbles if you had a leak. I believe you are thinking of a situation like turning a plastic bottle upside down and allowing the liquid to pour out. In this situation you see bubbles because the air volume within the bottle is sealed. As the liquid leaves the bottle, air must make its way back in to make up for the volume of the liquid draining out the bottom.

I hope that makes sense.

Hello, I am not sure if we have the same type craters, but i got several last summer after i installed my AG pool. My theory is this, i used fine mason sand over clay soil on the bottom of my pool. It was compacted and level and perfect the first couple months then i started seeing these craters in the bottom. I believe it is because my clay soil dried out and cracked then my sand fell into the cracks leaving a crater. Kind of like a hourglass, this is the only explanation i could come up with. Next time i will put something between my base and the sand. Scott

I have one about an inch larger in diameter than the floor skimmer in my deep end. It is probably a 1/4" at it's deepest, around the rim of the skimmer. Is this cause by the force of the suction compressing the ground? My pool guys put in that cork material under our inground Foxx pool.

Once I'm done with my current SLAM, I'll drop the GoPro and attach the photo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.