another cloudy pool with good numbers

mau

Jul 7, 2012
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've read through a few posts here with similar issues, but I think the difference I'm having is the pool is keeping chorine.

Numbers Monday according to pool store, over 24 hours after adding chemicals, compared to my numbers with the Taylor K-2006 if different:

FAC 3
TAC 3
CH 310 I was showing closer to 550, but this is the first year I've used the kit
CYA 45, I was showing closer to 30 with cloudy water (I could still very faintly see the dot when water was up to the top) . I've put a few pucks in a floater to bring up a little bit.
TA 90
pH 7.6, I showed 7.4

When I got back I proceeded to shock the pool up to 15 with 8.33% bleach and have been keeping it there since, with the lowest I've measured being 12. It's now almost 2 days later and I still can't see the bottom except in the shallow end, and that's not clear. The pool is a good color - just not clear. My pump doesn't show pressure but I've backwashed about every day and a half when the Polaris stops moving and the jets slow down. I've noticed a small difference since starting the shock on Monday, but not much.

Pool was dark green when opened 8 days ago. I had added clarifier late last week but not since since I may have overdone it, adding about 32 oz. over 3 days.

Is this most likely:

- a problem with the filter
- possibility of too much Calcium despite pool store measure
- just bleached dead algae still hanging around and I just need patience
- something else

Last year and this year the Polaris is picking up small amounts of sand.
We've lived here 2 years and haven't changed out the sand in the filter, the previous owners lived here 2 years and didn't leave any records. Before that previous owners were good about keeping up maintenance but Leslie's doesn't have their records.

Thanks for your help!

A couple things.

One, you're doing well to maintain shock level.
Two, trust your test, not the pool store
Three, stop backwashing so much. Sand filters actually work a little better when they start to get dirty. Hold off on backwashing until the return flow is noticeably less or the pressure rises 25%. If it's 12 PSI after a backwash, wait until it goes up to 15 and so on.
Four: be sure the main drain has some flow. If you don't have a drain or you're unsure how to open it, aim one of the return jets down at the deep end to stir up that stuff so the filter can grab it.
Five: if things don't improve in a day, you're probably a candidate for adding diatomaceous earth to your filter. We'll cover that later, if needed. But it might not be a bad idea to ask around now to see if any friends or neighbors have a DE filter, because you don't need much and a twenty five pound bag will last you a lifetime.

I suspect dead algae, sand filters can take longer to clear it, you might try a little DE in the filter to clear faster. Be sure to brush the pool as algae can form a protective layer that brushing will break down.

Thank you! Now that you mention it I remember my husband saying last year that the drain at the bottom of the deep end didn't seem to be drawing water. Everything was great then so I didn't really think about it. I will look into this more, also the DE.

I've been out of town most of the last week. Still running the pool with same results. Slightly clearer but still can't see bottom in deep end. Talked to 2pool repairmen (one came by when I was gone) both say we probably need to replace the sand in the filter since this should be done every 3-5 years, we've lived here 2 and we don't know when it was done last. They don't use DE. Cost of 2-300 dollars and they're both booked awhile.

Could my husband do this if he gets a few hours to spare? Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Run as fast as you can from those two repairman. Sand virtually never needs to be changed but it may need to be cleaned a bit. Open up the filter and inspect the sand bed for debris, crusting. It'll be easy to see if the sand is in good condition or if you need to stick a hose in it and clean it up.

Save that 2-300 for Happy Hour! :mrgreen:

mau said:
I've been out of town most of the last week. Still running the pool with same results. Slightly clearer but still can't see bottom in deep end. Talked to 2pool repairmen (one came by when I was gone) both say we probably need to replace the sand in the filter since this should be done every 3-5 years, we've lived here 2 and we don't know when it was done last. They don't use DE. Cost of 2-300 dollars and they're both booked awhile.

Could my husband do this if he gets a few hours to spare? Any other suggestions?

Thank you!
Sand doesn't wear out. A deep cleaning followed by http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter ought to fix you up.

Have you figured out the main drain yet?

mau said:
Talked to 2pool repairmen (one came by when I was gone) both say we probably need to replace the sand in the filter since this should be done every 3-5 years.
Thank you!
I'm no expert but my understanding is that the sand should NEVER need replacing. We have had our pool 5 years now, and this year we did have the sand topped up, but not replaced. Explanation given was that you do loose a little sand when you backwash, so it does need topping up, but not replacing.

I'm sure the experts will be along very shortly to agree (or not :? ).

See, they beat me to it. :lol:

Still haven't figured out drain ...the repairman said you can't always feel the flow. I haven't been able to talk to him directly yet to discuss.
Is the pool safe to use if numbers ok? I haven't been.

If your pool is not clear and you haven't passed the overnight chlorine test it is not yet safe for swimming. Keep that shock level up and read through pool school again.... about the shocking process. It will give you all the details about how to know when you are done shocking.

You may need to rinse your sand in your filter as others have suggested. Just be gentle with the laterals and components inside as you don't want to break anything.

Adding DE to your sand filter is sometimes a big help when you just can't get that water clear. We opened to a green pool this year and I was getting annoyed with how long it seemed to be taking to get rid of the last bit of haze in the water. Went and got some DE and I'm gaining ground faster. :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all for your advice. As an update, I was out of town for most of the last 2 weeks and couldn't get my husband or any pool guy interested in rinsing out the filter or adding DE. Kept the pump running and when I got back last Friday I could actually see the deep end drain although water was still cloudy. Unfortunately due to an unrelated electrical issue the pump had been off for over 24 hours. Got that fixed (off for about 40 hours total), added some clarifier and shocked the pool again last night to get rid of any algae that might have developed while pump was off. Water looks even clearer. Chlorine level is still at 12. When the chlorine gets down to a safe level, I'm assuming it's OK to swim again although it's not quite crystal clear.

Looking at other threads on here I may look at an alternative to our mesh safety cover next winter.

Thanks again! I have a few other questions which I'll post separately if I can't find a related thread.

Latest numbers:

PH 7.6
TA 80
Calcium 400
FC 12
CC between 12 & 12.5
CYA 45

Are you saying that your CC are 12ppm and the FC was 12ppm? Making the TC = 14ppm?

Either way, since the water is cloudy, you should review the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS and do it correctly to confirm nothing is in the water. IF the CC are that high (and not a typo), then you certainly need to do this. But I would at least make sure you raise the FC up to shock level of 18ppm and perform the OCLT (if the CC are actually 0.5ppm or less)

Sorry, just rechecked that. CC was .2. I'd been adding those numbers to compare my numbers with pool store. That was actually TC. And I should have mentioned the pH, TA, and Calcium Hardness numbers were from before I started the shock.

Thank you to everyone with your help with this! We'd been swimming and happy for the past 2 days when the pump stopped working again.

Unlike when we had the electrical issue last week when it was completely dead, the motor is running but there is no flow. It was fine this morning, my husband & kids were swimming this afternoon when my husband noticed there was no water coming out of the jets. I never did clean out the filter, mainly because I couldn't figure out how to do it from the manual and we were just happy to get into the pool for now.

Could the filter be clogged and causing issues? Or could this just be from running the pump almost 24/7 the past 4 weeks?

I'll get someone out to look at it ASAP, just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Also, what's the best thing to do when the pump's not working? I assume I should keep adding chlorine - what's the best way to spread it through the pool? I guess I'll have to shock again if it's not fixed tomorrow. Thanks! It's a Extreme E Emerson 1 HP pump.

Yes, it's making noise but not moving water. And it must have happened pretty suddenly because it was great about 2 hours earlier. We don't have any kind of pressure gauge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.