New pool build - 20' X 50' Roman end

May 12, 2013
Getting ready to break ground next week on the project. We are in the NE USA.

Got our plans today and this is how it looks. Any feedback, suggestions or warnings are welcome!

My wife is worried that the sun deck portion of the steps is going to be too small.

I'll try to keep this thread updated with progress pics.

ToOVakD.jpg

Welcome! I love build thread's, can't have too many pictures!

That's a long pool, what type of light is that in the deep end? How will the pool be oriented to the main seating (nighttime) location? My main seating area is behind the lights in my pool which is nice, but when i get in my hot tub the lights are shining towards it, which is not so nice, so keep that in mind!

Thanks harley! I picked up on how you guys love pics and I'll do my best to bomb this thread with some.

Yeah, it's a long pool but I have plenty of space. The light in the deep end is going to be a Hayward LED.

The pool is going to be oriented horizontally with the main seating area along the end with the sun deck (opposite the light) and wrapping around the side a bit. I'm figuring that since the pool is long, the light won't be offensive even when directly across it.

Okay. I'd put some serious thought into having the light pointed towards the night time seating area, I don't have LED's, so i don't know firsthand how bright they area, I've read that the red color is often unimpressive in strength. I'm positive we'll get some other opinions on that one.

From your drawing i can't tell the depth or size of your swim deck, can you clarify that?

Do you have an equipment list, options list, etc.?

Heater? Cover?

Spa?

harleysilo said:
Okay. I'd put some serious thought into having the light pointed towards the night time seating area, I don't have LED's, so i don't know firsthand how bright they area, I've read that the red color is often unimpressive in strength. I'm positive we'll get some other opinions on that one.

From your drawing i can't tell the depth or size of your swim deck, can you clarify that?

Do you have an equipment list, options list, etc.?

Heater? Cover?

Spa?

I have some friends with LED in a similar orientation, I'll ask them about their experience. Thanks for the heads up!

The sun deck is located at the end with the steps. We have one small step, then the sun deck which is going to be approx. 4', then another step.

Here is the equipment list:
Jandy SWG
Pentair Pump - 1.5 HP 2 stage
Pentair DE Filter
Raypack heater (propane),
Latham liner
Mesh safety cover

Our patio will be approx. 1000 sq/ft, pavers. Coping over the border of the pool.

I'm not able to swing the spa this year, but I'll plan for it in the future. We are planning on having a 15' wall/waterfall along the side of the pool.

Even though I'm not getting 3 pentair compenents I will still get the warranty given the quantity purchased by the builder.

I would ask your wife how she intends to use the sundeck. So it's going to be 4' wide, but how deep? Meaning how much water over it? I would be thinking i would want the first step to be the sundeck with 4-6" of water over it.

So i have liner over steps in my pool, installed last year. My first step is 3' wide with 4-5" of water over it. It's great for the kids, and adults to sit on. We don't use chairs in the pool, but it would obviously be too short for reclining chairs, as would yours. There will be foam over your steps, I would hesitate to put chairs on the shelf, unless the chairs legs where.......well i just wouldn't do it for fear of a puncture, but the stuff is pretty tough, but the foam underneath it on the steps makes me wonder.

I would ask your pool builder to let you see a liner over steps build he's done. Maybe he's already done that for you. I would just want some assurance that the liner over steps part looks good. Mine is functionally fine, but the ascetics is lacking. I think mine was miss measured by like 1", because there is just a tiny bit of extra material at the end of each step.

Here's a blurry underwater picture of the end of one of my steps.

Another question, Given how thick your chosen border is, how will it interact with first step?

Finally, i highly suggest you get the tread tex version of your liner for the steps, sun shelf. Ask your builder about it, there are only 4 patterns i think, and i choose my liner based on the 4 tread text versions. It's non-slip, and has kept us from busting our butts. The rest of our liner is supper slick. Just to be clear in the above picture the step surface and wall surface have different textures (barley noticeable, but non-slip works).

Make sure your builder gives you the scraps for future repairs. And a piece (sample) of the border.

Make sure your bottom is perfectly smooth prior to liner installation....you don't want to see foot prints at night

You can see ridge on last step here

My wife wants a bit more water, maybe a foot or so. Mainly someplace for the kids and non swimming adults to hang out but still feel like they're in the pool.

A friend of mine has a pool installed by the same builder and the liner over the steps looked great. One of the main reasons I went with this builder was because of the good job they did on his pool.

Great suggestion on the Tread tex, I'll definitely ask about that.

Can you elaborate on what leads to footprints?

The footprints occurred because our build got delayed. We had some rain, and then the day they did the vermiculite bottom, they also, a few hours later, installed the liner (not the original plan which i had asked about). While that in off it self didn't cause the footprints obviously it allowed them to occur if it was walked on. They ran into issues getting the liner to fit perfectly, i don't speak Spanish fluently so i couldn't tell exactly what the installer was saying to the PB, but i got the feeling they were just going to make it work. Somebody walked on it trying to get a crease out thinking it was dry enough i guess. I didn't notice till weeks later while swimming underwater at night with goggles on. It's not a huge deal, just knowing that had they let it dry a day and then installed the very same liner walking on it to fix it wouldn't have caused foot prints.

Whenever i get a new liner years down the road i will make sure any bottom work has dried, and the entire bottom has been shopvac'd to get up tiny little pieces of shotcrete that are now under my liner. I'm not talking pea sized, i'm talking half a grain of rice or smaller size.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.