updated pool test results, comments on my actions please.

GZelano

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2008
Hockessin, Delaware
cl - 1
ph - 7.5
cya - 20
t/a - 110
fc - 1.5
cc - 0
ch - 220
ph is low because i just added muriatic acid yesterday. Ph spikes constantly. Am i right to assume that i could just add dichlor or triclor and that will raise my cya as necessary and also lower the ph as it spikes.

Water is crystal clear and looks great, just trying to keep it that way.

If you get your TA down to 70-80 ppm and get your CYA up to around 70 ppm AND keep you pH at 7.6 and when it hits 7.8 add enough acid to brng it back to 7.6 and not lower then you will find that your pH will become more stable. (Unless, of course, this is new plaster that is less than a year old in which case your pool will consume a lot of acid as the plaster cures. Adjusting your water as I suggested above will help in any case.)
You might want to read the sticky on water balance for SWGs. It will be useful for you. The link to the stickies is in my signature.

If you have new plaster then using trichor tablets in a floater will help control the pH rise but it will add CYA slowly and the low CYA level with a SWG is one of the things contributing to the pH spikes. The sticky explains the reasons.

GZelano said:
cl - 1
ph - 7.5
cya - 20
t/a - 110
fc - 1.5
cc - 0
ch - 220
ph is low because i just added muriatic acid yesterday. Ph spikes constantly. Am i right to assume that i could just add dichlor or triclor and that will raise my cya as necessary and also lower the ph as it spikes.

Water is crystal clear and looks great, just trying to keep it that way.

Your pH is just right @ 7.5....don't change it.

Tell us more about the constant pH spikes...how often?...how much?

Tri chlor and di chlor will raise your CYA but I'd rather see you but in CYA seperately and bring your CYA up to about 40ppm.

Then raise you chlorine to around 4ppm and keep it there.

How are you currently chlorinating?

I don't think the trichlor pucks are going to do anything for your PH spikes - but bringing your TA down should. I would get the ph down to 7.2. Do you have any waterfalls or spillover spa? That will make PH rise. If you keep jumping on the PH and keeping it at 7.2 the TA will come down and you should see the PH stabilize.

Sorry i left out some inf, When the cleaner comes on every day the added pressure on the spa jets makes the spa swirl and also bubble. this happens 5-6 hours every day. Maybe i should lower the amount of time the cleaner runs to limit the amount of aeration ?

Currently chlorinating with a swg Aquarite

Attachments

• 0801131900-1.jpg
    0801131900-1.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 6
If you'll raise your CYA to the 60-70ppm level, you'll be able to turn down your SWG and get more life from the cell. I'd put the CYA in their manually and then adjust the SWG to keep the FC around 2-4ppm...maybe a tad higher.

Your pH will continue to rise because of the SWG....it's the nature of the beast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.