Ladder/Steps Dilemma: Rectangle Intex Ultra Frame AGP

Apr 23, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Can anyone recommend a heavy duty step system (for kids, old people, heavy persons) that deals with the rounded/contoured bottom and side edge on these Intex rectangle ultra frame pools? I've searched and read throughout this forum and if I've missed it then please forgive me. I'm looking for something that is really stout that attaches to a deck that I will be building in the next few weeks. The only thing I've found even close that seems as if it will be stable while avoiding the rounded bottom issue is this but I cannot seem to find anyone on the forum that has used this model:

http://www.lumi-o.com/index.php?content ... lang=en-CA

Any thoughts, suggestions? Appreciate the help, y'all :-D

I haven't seen anyone here that owns these steps but I browse Poolforum once in a while and read about a woman who owns these on that forum. I think I read that she had trouble with them because they weren't tall enough for her 54" pool wall. I don't know how she got them to work but I know I read that she liked them.

It should work for your set up. Once you get it complete, post pics please! :cool:

I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but I feel your pain. I have a similar pool and cannot find a single "sure thing" set of stairs for the pool. I really hope you find someone who can help (and share the answer with the rest of us! :wink: ).

We bought this ladder last year and they work wonderfully with our rectangle 16x32 Intex pool. We did put a cut up noodle on the pool edge under the ladder just for my peace of mind to stop any chance of rubbing and had pavers on the outside dug into the ground to help keep the dirt level down. We are looking forward to our second year with this ladder.

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Accessori ... ty-Ladder/

Good luck with your hunt!
Diane

Thanks DianeF1. I saw that ladder before and although it appears to be robust it doesn't seem like it would be capable of attaching to a deck. I'm looking for a ladder (steps, preferably) that will work inside the pool but attach to a deck.

I'll keep searching I suppose.

I have also researched the web for pool steps, from what I have seen...the Royal Entrance by Lumi-O is probably the best step for Intex pools. I am finally putting a deck around my 3 year old Intex 12'x24x52" and the Royal Entrance is what I'm using to solve my side wall problem.

From what I have found (pictures and schematics) the Royal Entrance only has 1 possible point of contact to the side wall and that's from the inside fin which holds the weight so the step doesn't float. The contact points for the steps are at the bottom of the last step.

The bottom of the fin to me looks to be a couple of inches from the pool liner. After I get the step, if the fin does manage to touch the bottom, I'll invest in the 4" riser that can be installed under the bottom step to raise up. It will be a couple of weeks before I get it as I'm still finishing the deck but will post pic's when I'm done.

John

jay7see said:
I have also researched the web for pool steps, from what I have seen...the Royal Entrance by Lumi-O is probably the best step for Intex pools. I am finally putting a deck around my 3 year old Intex 12'x24x52" and the Royal Entrance is what I'm using to solve my side wall problem.

From what I have found (pictures and schematics) the Royal Entrance only has 1 possible point of contact to the side wall and that's from the inside fin which holds the weight so the step doesn't float. The contact points for the steps are at the bottom of the last step.

The bottom of the fin to me looks to be a couple of inches from the pool liner. After I get the step, if the fin does manage to touch the bottom, I'll invest in the 4" riser that can be installed under the bottom step to raise up. It will be a couple of weeks before I get it as I'm still finishing the deck but will post pic's when I'm done.

John

Thanks jay7see. I too have come to the conclusion that The Royal Entrance step may be one of the only true options out there for the dished-bottom Intex pools. One other that I have found that I'm also considering is the Confer PES-1, not to be confused with the Confer STEP. On Confer's website under the FAQ's section they specifically state that for curved bottom or dished-bottom pools to NOT use the Confer STEP but to use the Confer PES-1.
WRT the Royal, I was looking at the specs and it seemed to me that the top portion would have to somehow lean against the top of the pool was frame/liner, unless the deck covering the top of the pool could be designed and built such that it cantilevered over the top of the pool and thus allowed the top of the Royal to rest against it. Is this not true? Does the top step of the Royal not touch the sidewall at all and instead all weight and pressure is transferred through the mounting bracjkets that are attached to the top of the deck?

Thanks again for your response, jay7see! :goodjob:

CLC, like you I am new to this forum so there may be someone else with a better idea or set up. That being said, I have seen the Confer's steps and while they look sound I personally do not like the two possible contacts to the sidewall from its support system. It has long supports on both sides for the bottom and side wall with a small 45° angle at the rear.

I have read somewhere (maybe on this forum) that someone cut a noodle to put under the stairs and top rail, maybe that can work for the sidewall if you really wanted to go with the Confer's step.

Now to your concern with the Royal...If you go to the link you supplied you can download the instructions. From these I have deduced that because Intex Ultra pools do not have a top rail, Intex owners must use the step six option, as a top rail is needed for steps seven and eight. Also step 5 states that the steps should be 1 inch from the pool liner, that should ensure that the steps are not against the deck.

Anyway that's my plan I hope that it helps you.

Jay7see

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CLC,
Sorry to state something that you already read, I just reread your post and saw that you already downloaded the instructions. My plan is to build the deck so that just the deck boards (not the frame) are a 1/2" above the top of the pool and even to the side wall. I'm using 2 x 6 for my decking so this should be strong enough for the steps.

johnnysnok said:
My wedding cake steps from Lumi-o work fine with the contoured rear edge and once attached to my deck they do not really move at all. You can see the contoured back in the photos.

johnnysnok, but like others on this thread I think you've misunderstood the design of my pool. :) I'm not worried about the lateral curvature of the wall such as the case with an oval or round pool. I'm worried about the vertical curvature of the bottom such as with a dish or round-bottomed pool which is apparently the case with rectangle or square AGP's. Round and Oval pools are flat bottom and have coping that handles the transition from the bottom of the pool to the sidewall. Every set of steps I've seen on the market, including your wedding cake tier steps are designed for this scenario. It does not work with a dish bottom pool.

Thanks for you're input though :-D

Here is a link to the stairs I use in my intex. The lower back corners are angled at about 45 degrees so it does not have a corner poking into the bottom curve of the liner. It says rated to 400 lbs. I personally would not trust it at 400 lbs. They may handle it but I wouldn't trust them if it was me. We have a couple of friends that have tried them and it does okay with 375. Once they are anchored to the deck, they do not move.

http://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Simple-Abov ... ound+Pools

They also have wider sets.

we have the 18' x 48' intex easy set up pool with the blow up top ring.love the pool but hate getting in and out with steps that came with it i have looked and looked and can't find anything that will work with the top ring please help...

I have this ladder:

ladders2.jpg

It has been used as an A-frame (pool to ground), a low deck and high deck ladder with zero issues in 10 years of abuse. It converted vry easily from a-frame to deck ladder.

This is it a deck ladder (my pool):

IMG_5156.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.