Grey steps?

May 25, 2012
Syracuse, NY
We've been using BBB method for 2 years now and all has been well. Pool was opened a few weeks ago and test have been normal. I've been adding the usual bleach as I did in the past. I noticed cslight cloudiness would stirup when I brushed the bottom in some spots so I put in some algaecide I had left over from last year. 2 days later the white plastic steps are now grey. I tried wiping and brushing them for a few mins but it isn't coming off.

Anything I can do to fix this?

Did the algaecide have copper in it?

Unfortunately copper stains can be very difficult to remove. You could try putting a vitamin C tablet on it and see what it does...but it could make it worse.

You can do some searching here...use the google search all the way to the bottom left of page...and you will find lots of discussion, but no definitive method to remove copper easily.

I think the algaecide did say cooper was in it. Still searching, but here is an update.

Just did a test and numbers were far from what I thought they were.

FC: 12
CC: 2
TC: 14
pH: 8.2
T/A: 150
CH: 200 (may be off due to h igh pH?)
CYA: less than 20

I would have thought pool company would have put stabilizer in it when opening to last a while...maybe not. We did get a new liner last fall so all new water, plus tons of rain past week.

When I lowered pH near steps, the stain went away immediately in spots.

Looks like I need to work on my balance...Good thing I have some time before it gets warm enough to use it.

Good news on the stain disappearing with lower ph. If it reappears you may have to repeat the process with a sequestrant in the pool.

Just a comment for the future: algaecides can help prevent algae, but once you have algae, then it is not very effective at removing it. If a pool is properly maintained per the method on this board, an algae is very rarely warranted (some folks like it for closing, it is also useful when doing an ascorbic acid treatment...thats about it). If you do use algaecides in the future, make sure it is polyqaut 60 type.

Have you just filled the pool from a municipal water supply in the last day or so?

If not, then the 2 ppm CC tells you that it is time for the shocking process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.