Need pool pump advice

Apr 14, 2013
Guessing this is still in the getting started forum.

Have a single speed pump and want to go to a variable speed for noise and energy relief.

What questions do we need to ask? Leslie is recommending Hayward over Pentair and one
review of Pentair said there's an issue with electronic parts not being available and only
option is full unit replacement. Little found about guarantees, or life span.

36K pool
300 GPM filter media
6 panel solar heater
CA valley location

Thank you

Ok, read the article. Variable speed would be best for us as Nov-Apr the pool is not used, so could drop the speed of the motor and run longer. Need the higher speed in the warmer months to match the warm air and to move more warm water from the roof to the pool. Noise is a significant factor as well, almost as much as the electric costs.

Electricity is expensive where I am (NorCal - Sacramento area), especially during summer.
I went with the VF and have absolutely no regrets.
Low speed pump, with a big cartridge filter, it runs on avg at 300w, granted I kick it up to 90gpm for a couple hours morning and night to do some skimming and just improve circulation (my pool has issues...).
Something I figured out about the VF, it calculates the "optimal" run time, based on factors you input, like pool volume, number of cycles, number of turns per cycle, etc.
So if electricity costs can vary throughout the day (it is like that here), you should set the start time and end time of the main program accordingly, because the VF goes into "power save" mode at the end of the runtime. I would like power save mode to be say 1:00pm to roughly 8pm.
The hottest time of day here is mid-afternoon, like 3-5pm, so everyone runs their AC then, and rates are highest.
I want the pump off then, but on during the night and morning. I set the start time to 9pm and end time at 8:59pm.
The pump is off during the expensive hours.
As long as I keep the chemical balance of the pool good, and clean off the cartridge filters periodically, the pump rewards me with sparklingly clean water, essentially silent operation, and low electricity bills.

andyt, thanks. we need to run some between 3 and 6 to get the most out of the solar heater. Water is about 75 now and we like it about 82, but air temps are more important. Finally this whole weekend it should be right around 100, yeah

how long have you had the pentair? any issues with it? How much did it lower PGE, about $40?

we've had the polaris for about 7 months now and does pretty good, but I do wish it would scrub a little more, but all in all it does better than a water powered sweep

Hard to say, but when I first moved in 2 years ago I had to run the pump continuously for about 4 days to clear the pool, and my electric bill was over 300$.
We normally run around 150$ a month in electricity now (summer) if that gives you any indication.
I replaced the pump promptly after that bill, so I've had it right around 2 years now, no issues whatsoever.
We have the 9300 Polaris also, and while it is a fine machine, it has trouble with our steps, good with leaves, but lots of dirt/dust/pollen will choke up the filter pretty quick.
I had to replace the Polaris filter already (1.5 years out of the first one, not sure what is normal).
Our electric cord died, and was replaced under warranty.

Ok, thanks. Ours does steps fine. I've always been careful to reverse flush the filter after each use and run it at least once a week.
Since that is such a fine filter, I would be surprised if it lasted 2 years.

Appreciate the feedback. It's just a matter of deciding on a pump model, ordering it and having someone else install it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those online calculators are not very accurate and tend to not compare things appropriately ... skewing toward making the VS look like a miracle.

Jason's post in the thread I linked to above is much more realistic.

If you want a more "fair" comparison than what Pentair presents, there is a link in my sig which contains a spreadsheet to do your own comparison. Your case makes a little more sense with a differential cost of around $20/month. Here is an example of the output:

Pump%20Cost%20CA.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.