To add calcium or not to?

tmnt25

May 28, 2013
Miami, FL
My calcium is currently really low at 150. I suspect its there because 1) the plaster was redone in 2011 2) the pool was topped off with softened water.

I just recently connected to city water, (i still have my well, but no longer have the water softener hooked up). The well water is hard and the city water is also hard (so i think they're both high in calcium).

The question is, do i continue with really low calcium levels and wait to see if the city & well water raise the levels as I top off? Or is it low enough that i should add calcium now to protect the surface?

really happy to have found this forum

Welcome to tfp, tmnt25 :wave:

tmnt25 said:
The question is, do i continue with really low calcium levels and wait to see if the city & well water raise the levels as I top off? Or is it low enough that i should add calcium now to protect the surface?
We need a full set of test results including pH, TA, CH, CYA, Temp, Borates (if any purposefully put in), Salt (if any purposefully put in) in order for us to really know. The recommended levels are 250-350 ppm, but in your high CH makeup water case, that range may not apply directly. Do you know your fill (makeup) water CH level?

linen said:
Welcome to tfp, tmnt25 :wave:

tmnt25 said:
We need a full set of test results including pH, TA, CH, CYA, Temp, Borates (if any purposefully put in), Salt (if any purposefully put in) in order for us to really know. The recommended levels are 250-350 ppm, but in your high CH makeup water case, that range may not apply directly. Do you know your fill (makeup) water CH level?

based on pinch a penny:
FC 5
pH 7.6
TA 100
CYA 60

Don't know about borates, salt. i currently have a pool service, but am not confident they are doing a great job. He only tests with strips and given what i've learned in pool school, this is not sufficient. Also, some metal stains he's ignored has caused me to go on a learning spree.

will pinch a penny test my water source?

looking into buying the k2006 or the tf100

I'm in miami, fl.

Vette said:
Honestly, getting a test kit like the TF-100 or K2006 is the best investment you can ever make in your pool. Even more than any equipment upgrades.

ordered the tf-100 2 minutes ago :wink:

you all are great salesmen....

I do have an over the counter test kit that gave me similar results on FC, PH and TA that pinch a penny gave me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.