New Pool / First time opening

oohnoo

Sep 5, 2012
LI, NY
HiHo
I started another thread of when I built my pool but figured I start a new thread on getting my pool balanced properly.

wohoo-new-pool-construction-t53022.html

I had scheduled with my pool installer to open the pool May 24th as it was part of they're service but I figured I'd removed the cover the week before to see how it was as we were hosting a party the next day the 25th and wanted the pool looking good. Not a pool party but still wanted it looking good as we would still be showing it off. Cool part when I lifted the corner of the cover was a poof of steam came out and hit me in the face! Hot sh*t.
As I suspected it was semi clear but filled with lots sediment on the bottom which I figured came from all the new pavers we had installed. So I enlisted the help of my 2 sons and we vacuum it all out to waste doing the best we could as it was our first time. While semi opened I brought a water sample to Leslies to get tested as for the life of me I couldn't' find my brand new test kit I bought last year from TFTestkits. So I had to order another new test kit :(, know I'll find the other one day...lol
Test results were ok but don't remember the numbers but one for sure stuck out as Phosphates which were threw the roof at over 1000ppm. They gave me some Phos remover which he said is ok to put in even without the pool circulating which I did. So after it was all vacuumed out we put the cover back on as the Crud from the trees was still coming down hard. Then as schedule the pool installer came and opened the pool and added 600lbs of salt, shocked the Crud out of it, added an algaecide and added DE to the filter and got it all up and running. I had gotten it all hooked up to vac so I made it easy for him to do. Next day they were scheduled to come back and get the pool all nice and vacuumed out as we didn't do the best job. Everything looked great and the pool was and clear. Too bad as it rained all day long so the party stayed indoors and no one could get to enjoy it.
So the next day I figured I'd get the pool tested and the number are as follows:
FAC: .5
Salt: 2600
CH: 70
CYA: 0
TA: 50
pH: 7.4
Phosphates: 500

They told me to add 2 gals of liquid shock which the guy sold me the last time. I added it and my FC numbers are still the same when I tested it the next day.

Question is and what I'm not sure of when getting it all balanced is where do I start in getting what balanced first? Any help would be greatly appreciated

The first thing to do is erase that phosphate number from your memory. It's not important and you never need to do anything about it.

Second is to get enough bleach in there to get the FC up to about 3 ppm. And add enough each day to keep it there.
Then wait till you get the new test kit (or find the old one) and run all the tests yourself. I wouldn't believe anything except maybe the pH and I'd be skeptical of that.

I'd get some CYA in there, up to 30. And start the shock process. You lost what you put in due to sunlight and/or organics.

I have the new test kit and all the numbers match.

According to the Poolcalculator I would need to add 239oz of liquid stabilizer in there to get it up to 30 as I hear the powder to put in a sock and put it in the skimmer but that can take a week. I'll stop by the Leslies and pick this up. I also have another 2 gals of Chlorine I can add.

Salts already in the pool but test results only show 2310ppm so I have to add another 133lbs. I was thinking I should turn it on once I get the CYA and FC levels up to par.

Bama Rambler said:
That's correct. Once you get the salt in the water, run the pump 24 hours before you turn the swg on.

Here's some new numbers in my quest to get things right. Started off by adding 4 gals stabilizer. Tested again CYA results were 40ppm. Added another 2 gals as per the Pool Calculator. Next day added 2 gals liquid chlorine as there was no reading for it. Here's the results with my Taylor test kit.
FAC: 4.8 / Leslies tested it but they said it was too high to get a good reading.
TAC: .4
Salt:This is where it gets interesting. I tested it with my AquaChek test strips = 2710. Leslies electronic tester = 3300, Leslies test strip but not the store brand, forget which but had to wait about 5 minutes for results = 3740
CH: 100
CYA: 60
TA: 120
pH: 8.0
Phosphates: 500

The DE filter readings were on the high side @28psi so I decided to back flush it. I then added 5 scoops of DE and it's still showing on the high side at about 25psi. I'm guess I have to back flush it again and remove the inner screens and give them a good cleaning????????

Bumping this up as I can't for some reason get my FC levels good. Had a huge rain storm the other day where I had to drain a good 4" during the storm and then another 3" the next day. Tested my water and here are the results using a Talor K-2006. I also have a TF-100 kit which I boughtg last year and finally found. :)
FAC: .5 if that
Salt: 3200
CH: 300
CYA: 55
TA: 80
pH: 7.5

Added a 60oz or Chlorine as per poolcal and got nadda results. Pool SWG right now is set to BOOST to try and get numbers up.

I want to swim in my new pool. Please HELP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Went for my first swim tonight around 6pm.....LOVING IT. Outside temp was in the mid 70's but pool temp was a nice 84°. Wife stuck her feet in it by the pool jets which were warmer cause of the heater and said THIS is the temp I want the pool....lol. For me it was perfect but we'll see, got to make her happy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.