Potential leak on new build - detection methods?

dperque

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 4, 2013
Austin, TX
We're wrapping up our build and everything was fine until we noticed an area of our stone side wall was a little wet. I didn't think much of it as we'd been rebuilding the irrigation system and figured a head or something sprayed up, but after we started running the Polaris (3 weeks after plaster), we actually saw some pooling of water. Our pool sits above grade on 1 side with limestone veneers and it's clear that some of the stones are darker and cooler to the touch - this is all directly behind the polaris line.

Anyway, the PB was out to dye test the area and couldn't find anything peculiar, but did apply some A+B epoxy to the inlet in the hopes this would stop the leak.

We've also shut down the autofill to see how much we're losing and it doesn't appear to be much, but we've also had some rain so it's just hard to tell.

My question is, if the leak only seems to be noticeable (and detectable) when the Aux Polaris (or normal) pump is running, how can I detect or confirm this? is this a big deal? honestly, I feel like if this were on the opposite (not visible) side of the pool, I wouldn't even care.

Is there a "next step" in leak detection if the dye fails?

My PB isn't exactly denying there's a leak, but he isn't spending a lot of time trying to diagnose or repair it either. I still owe him some money on the build - should I hang on to this until this is resolved?

This is complicating things as I'm looking to extend my stone patio to the wall of the pool and I don't really want to if it means poring a slab over a leak.

pic - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8btUmU ... sp=sharing

Thanks!

Set a bucket in the pool with water at the same level as the pool water (the bucket lip should be just above the pool water level). And observe the relative water levels to confirm that you are actually losing water out of the pool.

There is no fixed set of steps to locate a leak. It can occasionally be very easy, but often is very difficult. If you suspect a leak in the line from the booster pump to the pool, I would turn off the booster pump and plug the line at both ends for a couple of days and see if that eliminates the leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.