shorting pool pumps

May 28, 2013
3 years ago had electrician install power post outside with a twist lock for the existing filter. He also installed a gfci. For all 3 years plugged pool filter into twist lock and ran well. This year powered up and got a loud snap and white smoke. Motor fried? Ordered new pump came with 3 pronged plug 115v. Plugged that into gfci and ran for few mins. Breaker tripped. Reset breaker plugged in and loud snap more smoke. Motor #2 down. Called electrician. Says house power fine and as it should be. Must have been coincidence of old motor and new one defective. Pool company sent me new motor asap no charge (inyo pools- great svc). Not big on coincidences I bought a surge protector and put that between plug and motor. Plugged in 3rd motor and ran for few mins and protector tripped. Reset and plugged in and ran for 5 days non-stop. Turned off to clean inner filter. Plugged in and loud snap small flame from motor. Any ideas as I wait for electrician on what is causing this? Thanks, Ray

Sounds like an open neutral at the panel or the neutral shorted to opposite phase. An open neutral is a lot more likely. An open neutral will allow the voltage to float and it can float high or low. It's strange that you haven't noticed it anywhere else though. What else is on that sub-panel?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.