Estimates for resetting an AG pool?

May 25, 2013
Chicago, IL
First off, Love TFP, wish I had found you sooner!

Looks like I will have to reset my 27' round AG pool since the 2 or 3 of the posts are sinking (REALLY long story which I typed up but for some reason my post didn't save and don't have time right now to go into again). There is 3-4, maybe 5" difference from front to back right now. The pool is 8 years old and serves us well but wondering if it is worth the cost.

I'm in the nw suburbs of Chicago - does anyone have any ballpark figures for something like this? I talked with one company and they said the whole pool will need to be taking down and re-done. I'm going off this as a starting point for estimates - obviously if they don't have to go that drastic it might not cost as much.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Welcome to tfp, ascrapaholic :wave:

Well I don't know what it will cost...but I would agree that the pool needs to be taken down and leveling redone. If the liner is more than a year old (and maybe even if it is new), it will likely need to be replaced.

Thank you linen - the liner is original to the pool (8 years) so I'm aware it will need to be replaced. If that was the only major $$ item I wouldn't worry about it. But with a total reset, I think we are talking about major bucks with labor as this is not a project I can take on. Just looking to see if it's worth the investment given the short pool season we have here (solar panels for heat only) and that my kids are 12, 14, 16 & 18.

Thanks!

Ok, interestingly enough, the difference b/w the front and back of the pool is just short of 2 inches so apparently looks CAN be deceiving. Obviously not an ideal situation still and it will still need to be fixed, but maybe it's not as drastic as I first thought.

Still looking for estimates and/or if anyone has suggestions or companies I can call to come out and do an inspection/estimate. Thanks!

I'm in TX, so not sure the cost difference. Not sure what your install originally cost, but maybe that will help comparatively. My original install was $1100. I just had a new liner installed (ordered 30' 25 gauge liner online for $270 with free shipping). The pool was within 1-1/4" of level but a few posts seemed to be sinking so I had it checked and levelled at the same time. The cost to take it down, level, put it back up, and install new liner was $400. Oh and they rolled the sand again to make it smooth and added gorilla pad. Hope this helps!

Erivette - thanks for the info - boy if that is all it costs, or even somewhere in that ballpark, I can handle that. I was thinking 4 figures plus which would really not be acceptable nor feasible given my financial status. I have a call in to a few above ground pool installers and will be calling a few more today and tomorrow, but given this is their busy season I'm not anticipating quick responses.

Thanks!

Well, I'm not entirely certain at this point as I just did a little more investigating at it might be sand base washout due to a now-fixed hole in the liner. However, the pool has s-l-o-w-l-y been getting a little lower in the same area since a year or 2 after the pool was installed, so might be a combination of the hole and the fact the back end of the pool was built up (I know, a big no-no but really long story as to how it got that way to follow):

First off, the yard slopes so we knew we were going to have quite a dig out to get level. We had to cut down a river birch to install the pool. River birch roots go straight down instead of out, just didn't realize how far. We had someone grind the stump and roots down pretty far, but when the installer came to level out the area, his little bobcat could not get far enough down w/out hitting more roots. Had more stump root ground down, axed out as much as my arms could muster and then had the guy come back in. STILL could not get far enough down. Since he had already spent much more time on the leveling than he was paid and had time for, he built up the back end of the pool. I can't exactly remember how much, I think it was only like a foot or less. Not a great solution but we were anxious to get the pool in (MISTAKE!) We built a small retaining wall (roughly 1.5' at the highest point) since the ground around the back of the pool was now higher than rest of yard.

I noticed some very small changes in the water level from front to back about a year later. The level had not really changed and I wasn't worried about it since I figured it had settled and wasn't going to move anymore. Last summer found a hole at the bottom of the liner towards the back of the pool. Not sure how long it had been there. Plugged the hole and closed for winter. When I went to open up the pool and fill this year, there was an obvious low spot and the retaining wall is now starting bow outward and much of the fill behind the wall is now considerably lower than the rest of the wall.

As I said, the difference is only about 2" from front to back, but I have started in earnest to get some installers to look at it and see what needs to be done. This is, however, their busy time and I'm playing phone tag with most of them. Needless to say I think our pool season will either be considerably shortened or not at all this year as I don't want anyone swimming in it. It is too bad as I was really starting to get the hang of the BBB system and was excited to see if I could manage on my own.

Sorry for the long story...I don't know if that was helpful to anyone, but there it is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Awesome, HamburgerChef! I don't regret buying our pool, it really has seen some great family times. My wish is finding this site sooner so I could have enjoyed it more instead of maintaining it. You have a leg up already with the knowledge from all the folks here, I'm sure it will be great!

OMG, why are AG pool installers so rude??? I get that this the busy season, but honestly, why not return my phone calls???? And when you do call back, don't talk down to me about how it's going to be a shock about how much it might cost - after 8 years I think I know how much something like this might set me back and I wouldn't have called if I didn't at least have an idea and was willing to spend the money!!!

Or maybe the economy is improving and they don't want or need my money... Sorry for the rant, I just can't believe how frustrating this whole process is!

Sorry you're having so much trouble. Not sure how you're finding places to call. But I called AGP sales stores to get names of contractors they use for their installs on new pools. They don't work for the pool stores, they are private contractors, so they were willing go give me contact information. Hope that helps! Good luck!

I did call The Great Escape who gave me 2 pool contractors - I called one and he gave me a quote over the phone, site unseen, just given the little bit of information I told him verbally. He was rude and kept interrupting me in the conversation. The other one did not have a great rep as far as I could tell and I believe were the ones that originally installed my pool so I don't have a lot of confidence in them to begin with.

The other 2 I called apparently have 1 guy working jobs - or at least only 1 guy that does estimates - how are you supposed to go through a busy season with 1 guy??? Ugh, this is going to be a l-o-n-g summer!

OK, a little update....I contacted no less than dozen companies that supposedly repaired AG pools - most either never got back to me or emailed to say they don't do AG pools. I did get one to come out and gave me a quote of....are you sitting down....$2500.00. I hope to have one more guy come out this week (at least that is what they told me) to get another quote and suggestions. My concern with this whole endeavor is that damage may occur to the supports or walls as they are re-leveling/adjusting things.

I see the The Great Escape is offering free install on new pool purchases so I'm wondering...since I don't need the mechanicals is it cheaper to just get a new pool? The water level is a 3" difference side to side so they should hopefully just be able to re-level the ground as is since the built up portion is now basically solid. But that is what I'm hoping the other guy that comes out for a quote can tell me.

Thoughts on the above? I've pretty much come to grips that the season is a lost cause, but I would like to get it complete before school starts in the fall if possible.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.