Rebuilding SWG cells

For Goldline units, 3 parameters are used for determining salt level, voltage, current and cell water temperature. So even if the volts and amps is the same, if water temp is different it will change the salt level.

But 8.25 amps is over limit so it should have alarmed. Are you sure it wasn't 6 amps? That is nominal.

In both cases the water temp was nearly the same. It's Houston. This time of year it doesn't change much :). And you're correct. The old cell was cutting off on high amps and when I first installed the new cell it was also cutting off on high amps (8.25). I could watch the readings for a bit before it shutdown. I had to get the salt level back down once the new one was installed. Either way everything seems to functioning correctly.

If both cells were over voltage, then it is probably the control unit and either a short on the board or perhaps an incorrect setting for the cell size although I think you are using the largest cell (T15).

Yep T-15. I think all is good. The first one was over voltage due to the salt being high (4000 read by test strips). When I installed the new the salt was still high (4000), so I needed to do a partial refill to get the salt back in to range. Once the salt was back in range no more issues with the voltage.

Given the SWG plates are nearly the entire cost of a cell, it doesn't make much sense.

I've never looked into it but I believe the 'non-self cleaning' SWG cell plates are just titanium and I think a titanium sheet big enough to use for a cell is probably $50 vs about $500 for a replacement cell ...

But I really don't know much about it which is why I'm asking the question. Personally, I also have an Jandy system which is still plumbed for the old cells (smaller coupling) which I can't really find anymore and if I get one of the new cells (which I actually have one), I have to redo the plumbing which I'd rather stall as long as I can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.