guitar boy

May 26, 2013
Hey There,
I have had my above ground pool for one year. I opened the pool two weeks ago, had my water tested at the local pool store. The store folks told me that I needed to purchase some alkalinity increaser. Rather than buy their brand I used baking soda and raised the AL based on a test strip. I had become concerned about what I was spending at the pool store for chemicals and the fact that they recommeded that i run my pump on high 24/7. I discovered this web site last week, signed up and I am now reading pool school. I ordered the TF100 with magnetic stirrer last night.

This is what I have put into my pool so far this year:
1. Two weeks ago at opening for the year, 2 bags of proteam power magic oxidizer which i read on the label is 47% calcium hypochlorite.
2. one more bag of the above mentioned shock 2 days ago.
2. 8 lbs of baking soda
3. 1 frog bac pac

This is my system:13,500 gall above ground pool, waterco micron sand filter exotuf e600, 60 gpm (res), 45 gpm (com), century flex 48 2 speed pump, seems to be 1.5 hp, the pool is one year old, bottom crawler robot cleaner

Initial questions:
1. How do I phase into the BBB system?
2. I have two bags of the proteam left, use it or get rid of it?
3. I have 6 frog bac pacs, use it or get rid of it, or sell it on craigslist?

Thanks it advance. I look forward to testing, learning, and sharing with you.

guitarboy

You will likely be advised to ditch the Frog Bac PAC stuff. Whether you can get away with using the balance of your Proteam Oxidizer will depend on your CH tests when your kit arrives. If your CH is not too high, you can use poolcalculator.com to see the affects of the ProTeam and then decide.

Welcome to TFP.

You've done the right thing so far. Getting a good test kit and reading Pool School. Wait till your kit gets there and post a full set of test results when you get them. Now would be a good time to add your pool info to your sig.

Once you have test results we can better advise you on what you can and should be using, and what you should not be using.
It may be that you can use the cal-hypo and some of the bac-paks. Since you have them you can always save them for vacation time, etc.

Got my test kit and these are the results of my first test"
FC: 0
CC: 0
TC: 0
TA: 120
CH: 210
CYA: 50

The Pool calculator tells me to add 112 oz of 6% bleach for a goal of 4 and to add 100 oz by weight or 80 oz by volume of Calcium Chloride, regular salt?? for a CH goal of 260. What do you think?

This is my system:13,500 gall above ground pool, waterco micron sand filter exotuf e600, 60 gpm (res), 45 gpm (com), century flex 48 2 speed pump, seems to be 1.5 hp, the pool is one year old, bottom crawler robot cleaner.