Removing old outdoor carpet adhesive

Yakiman

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 16, 2012
Yakima, WA
Pool Size
Hi, I ripped out the old ugly green outdoor carpet that was covering the concrete deck around my pool when I bought this house. It's been there a while (I'm sure) so it came up easy. However, in some places there is yellow residue from the carpet and the adhesive they used to lay it. I know I read somewhere about a good solvent to remove this stuff, but I can't seem to find it now. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

The good solvent has been pulled off the market - Methyl Ethyl Ketone. If you've ever gotten a whiff of Muriatic Acid, this stuff makes it feel like nothing. But that doesn't help you any. There's stuff called goof-off sold in the paint department that should work. It only comes in small cans, though. You might also stop by the automotive section and look for carburetor cleaner - Berryman's B-12 is sort of the industry standard. It evaporates fast, but it will dissolve most everything. Soften the stuff up and scrape it with a stiff putty knife. Probably have to polish it off with a soaked rag.

Thanks Richard I went to Home Depot and they had the goof off in gallons so I bought one. Tried a little yesterday just to see how it will work and it looks like it will do the job with a lot of elbow grease. Might look into renting or buying a pressure washer to make the job easier. Ultimately I want to patch the pool deck up and paint it with some of that Restore stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.